Frozen fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SatyR, Jun 5, 2001.

1. SatyR

Jun 5, 2001
    Santiago, Chile.
    I need to know how to defrost my fingers, where I live is too cold this time of the year and when I need to play my fingers are almost frozen!, and i kind of hard playing like this. thanks for your help!
  2. rayengle

Mar 10, 2001
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Wear gloves
    Warm up slowly
    Keep french fries in your pocket

Where art thou? Has hell frozen over?

3. rayengle

Mar 10, 2001
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Oh! Santiago, Chile! Welcome!
  4. warm water. works like a charm.
  5. rayengle

Mar 10, 2001
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Soak in it?
    Drink it?
    Put your brothers hand in it while he's asleep?

That reminds me of a story I heard about Chico Marx. While he & his brothers were growing up, they lived in a drafty tenement in New York. They were all pretty good musicians, but he was the best. His mother sent him to piano lessons, but he didn't like to practice much. He would soak his fingers in warm water for 10 minutes, say "that's enough practice" and go out on a date.

OK - I made it up just now, but it COULD have happened!
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Last semester our practice space was a barn with no heat in northern wisconsin. (I'm not with this band anymore, for that and many other reasons) ANYWHO I always brought a thermos of SOMETHING warm (coffee, hot chocolate, other), and some of those thin stretch gloves, which sometimes I left on while playing. Can't say I recommend that, but my hands were warm!
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    What about those little packets of "?" that heat up when you smack them against something? I don't know if those are available where you live, but they sell them all winter here. -Northeast USA. Maybe keep them in your pockets, put your hands ion there between songs?
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    This is going to sound wierd to some, but we learned on cold weather deployment, that if you want to warm your hands up fairly fast or keep them warm, to stick them down the front of your pants. Its the warmest place on the body. Just another alternative.
  9. :eek:
    But...then your bass would smell funky! :p
    Also, doesn't that area of the body also LOSE heat extremely quickly? Then, by shoving your hands down there, wouldn't you risk...uuuh...freezing it?
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Hey funk is a good especially for a bass. I never said I was for the idea, just merely presenting another option when ya dont have gloves or a hot thermus, No that area of the body is actually the warmest part of it, then under your armpits. They retain heat very well.
  11. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Put your hands down your pants, on your ass, and sit on them.
  12. Ah yes...the could I forget about that? I used to put my hands under my armpits during winter when my fingers were too cold to type! :p

I only really know this stuff from experience, and the water survival course I had to take in IGCSE PE. :D:p
  13. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    the best thing to do is...
    put ya fingers in a sink of warm water with some dishwashing liquid
    i do it when my mum has finished the dishes and it is ppppeeeerffeectttt
    leave em in there till u feel your hands kinda burning then take em out and dry em really really good
  14. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    My hands/fingers get extremely cold, sometimes even in the summer (in the summer they can go from feeling like ice to sweating terribly).

I told my bass instructor about my hands being so cold and stiff all the time...of course noticing the problem when I get to my lesson. I said when my hands are cold I run them under nice warm water. He said that doesn't help because, although it'll make them feel warm, it will still leave the fingers stiff.

So he told me to 1)Wear gloves (heh..can you see me wearing gloves in the summer?! LOL :D) and 2)Before I head out to my lesson (though I do this everyday no matter what) I should play all the major scales. This will get my fingers 'working'. :)

Hope that helps. :)

15. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Good shot of everclear never hurt anything!