1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Frudua-Tuscany "King Bass" sneak preview (Gibson EB2D content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Avezzano, Apr 26, 2009.

1. well sort of: it is just the initial sketch of the bass! E-mail contact was established with Galeazzo Frudua, this intelligent and corageous italian luthier that is currently developing and marketing the http://www.exlusiveguitars.com/ and the http://www.tuscanyguitars.com/ lines. (Download the pdf catalogs and just start droolin'... then wipe your mouth and pass them on to your buddy guitarist!) http://www.frudua.com/

Within the Tuscany line brochure, toward the end, a red preliminary "draft" King bass can be identified. The picture shows a 30" scale, a bit anonimous axe. So, since anybody that puts his dirty fingers on a bass fretboard can feel a current growing hunger for a new EB2D (and Coronado) reissue in the whole bass world, we started exchanging some writings with Galeazzo. To make the story short, soon, in a few (months? Weeks?) we are going to find on the market this:

King_draft_21_34_meglio.

Nice puppy, uh? It will be a 34" scale, 21 frets set-neck with the Gibson style pickups; the bridge pickup will be in the Sting Ray position; blocks and bindings; vol vol tone; center wood block. Colors unknown at the moment. Suggestion was also made to install the elephant ear tuners instead than the standard minituners and to sell the bass with the pickguard NOT mounted; then if one wants, later on he can do it easily by himself. Obviously you'll only have the "aesthetic flavour" of the EB2D, it definitely is a more modern and usable axe. But it will absolutely be a wonderful semi-hollow bass. 5 strings will follow... Price unknown but we suspect absolutely reasonable... Anybody interested, just drop two lines to Galeazzo: he'll be happy... (I hope!) :D

2. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Since Gibson will probably never reissue an EB2 (and if they did, it'd be $7000), me likey a lot!!
    ;)

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Sunburst? Dots?

Tempting, and I am seriously curious about the above options. Also, can you give a little more detail on pickups and price?

4. price around 500 euro here in Italy. Maybe less. I understand that Frudua Exlusive (yes, without the C: it's intentional!) and Tuscany series will initially only be sold online out of Europe (in England, France, Germany etc. they are already in the shops). But I might be wrong: things change quick. Download the catalogues, that it's worth a spin: this guy definitely has some ideas going; look at the next "esacoil":

http://www.bassgearmag.com/web/industry_news_detail.php?noticia_id=282

Sunburst? I personally clogged the email of the guy to have at least a redburst and it seems we'll have some sort of 'burst. Maybe also a natural. I understand no dots: the idea was to have a reissue of the EB2D (none is never thinking about this, so...) but in more actualized shape and characteristics, possibly having the axe different enough from the original model, for obvious reasons. And in addition it MUST play supergood! For the pickups, I don't know much but for sure the bridge pickup will be placed in the sweet spot (Sting Ray) to be really useful, alone. Even the scale is 34" and not 30"...

You will see this bass "in flesh" and you'll drool a lot, believe me... (if you wish, send directly two lines to Galeazzo: he's a very nice person)

5. no one else's opinion? Just polling the interest in this axe...

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Maybe that's your answer.

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    All you can do is wait and see what happens.

I was mildly interested then (didn't post though) but not so much now. Things change.

Consider this a friendly bump for your effort.

8. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    We wrote up part of the new Frudua efforts in last week's Bass Gear Weekly.

9. so wait--its going to be 30 or 34" scale?
    because i would be interested in the 30" scale model (unless you are saying that one is already being made--maybe i should get on the ball haha)

10. That's a pity, in my book.

Oh well.

11. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Have you seen the Super B-5 in their "Exclusive" collection?

See my attachment!

Triple coil MM style pickup with a separate volume for the neck coil and another for the two bridge coils.

Interesting!

Attached Files:

12. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Right. As a huge fan and owner of a Gibson EB-2, I would seriously be interested if the new bass was a 30" scale. There's enough 34" hollowbodies out there to satisfy the demand for such already.

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Then might I suggest a "more modern and usable" bridge than the old Gibson 3-point bridge shown in the illustration above.

14. agreed

are you implying that less that 34" scale basses aren't serious basses?

plus it seems interesting that its intended to compete with the casady bass--considering it seems like the lakland hollowbody seems like more of a competitor, unless the luthier is looking to compete with the casady price point

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    It miss the most interesting and peculiar feature of the original, the Ted Nugent switch.

disappointing.

16. well, the intention was not to reissue an EB2 clone, but to create a new, beautiful 34" semi-hollow; the natural choice for the body and the pickups was the EB2D, since there is nothing similar around on the market currently.

In any case, send comments to Galeazzo directly (see above links); he appreciates and he's flexible...

17. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Well, since I prefer 30" hollowbodies my ability to name off several may be limited but I know how many times I've been disappointed to find out a new hollowbody is 34" scale. But here goes:

The new Warwick Starbass

Ibanez had two 34 inchers a couple years back(I own one) but those have since been replaced by 30 inchers, what does THAT tell you?

Jay Turser has a nice 34" hollowbody

G&L ASAT

Gretsch

I'm sure there's more but as I said, I prefer 30 inchers so my knowledge of 34 inchers is limited.