Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fruitwood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jonas_oxide, Jun 5, 2005.

1. anybody ever heard of it, or used it before?
    I have an old fretless lado with a fruitwood fretboard and just wanted to know about it as a wood. Id like to have roundwound, or halfwound strings on it, but dont want to ruin the board. also it is a thinner layer of wood than any other fretboard ive ever seen. I dont really know how to take care of it either, so im crying out to you for help fellows! the only salve to ease my pain is knowledge. thank you once again, i love thins place

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hey, sorry that i can't help you so much, but i did a search for "fruitwood" and here's what i found:

The Definition of Fruitwood:
    fruitwood
    A noun
    1 fruitwood

wood of various fruit trees (as apple or cherry or pear) used especially in cabinetwork
    ----------------------------

What does it look like? Is it porous? Hard? Soft?

Good luck :),
    -Erlend

3. There's a german company that makes wooden planes. They have one that is advertised to have a body made of fruitwood and a sole of lignum vitae. It looks similar to beech (a little redder) in grain structure from the pics, but I've never held one in my hands to examine.

4. well, the board feels and sounds great, i just wish i knew a little more about it. i cant see it being a poor choie for a fingerboard, its a dark, oily looking wood with visible grain and whatnot, and if its used in cabinet making it cant be too weak. i cant seem to load a pic of it right now, so ill try and post one later.

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Some companies used to dye pearwood to make it look like ebony. You could have a dyed piece of pearwood or something along those lines. "Fruitwood" is really pretty non-specific, so you could actually have one of any number of woods.