Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fruity Loops Help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hey all you fruity loops users. Do you know how to change time signatures? Also, how do you make tempo changes mid song? Thanks.

2. man i did an entire album of programmed stuff for my internship last semester and im pretty sure that you cant change time sigs or tempos in the middle of the song. the closest thing that i did was get into cool edit pro with your different parts and import them right next to each other in the order you want them.

if you just want to know how to do odd time, i havent done it in a while but if you go to options i think, somewhere in there should be song options or properties and you change the number of counts from 32 (or 16 depending on which drum kit you use) to what ever you want to create the odd time. when you change this, it applies to the whole song. im gonna try to post some of my Japanese Raccon Fight soon on mp3.com/japaneseraccoonfight

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, I figured mid song tempo changes were a bit of a stretch considering fruityloops seems to be for dance/techno music? :confused:

4. yeah, maybe you can. i dont think so though, i worked on it for 6 months and i have now idea how to stick that bridge in 5/4 in there.

what i did though, was if you had an odd time phrase you just had to have, you program it in 4/4 like the first measure of 3/4 and then the beat 1 of the second measure of 3/4 and then beat 2 and 3 of the second measure of 3/4 and beat 1 and 2 of the third measure of 3/4 in the second measure of 4/4, and so on and so on. the problem is you will have many many patterns if your phrase is very long because you have to do that for every instrument or noise in that odd time phrase.

yeah, notice that the default settings are steady thumping bass at 140 bpm. techno is really complicated...

:rolleyes:

5. deadweeds

deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    Matt is a fruit loop;)

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

deadweeds is a stinky poop;)

7. *conflict moderatertion*

8. deadweeds

deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    I can't help it...:(

9. If you want mid song tempo transitions begin the song with a relatively high bpm (300-400) to allow for stretching....space out your instrument 'beats' to slow tempo (requires more than one pattern per measure usually), or move them close for fast. Just keep the spacing increment constant until you want the tempo change, then do what you like. It's not that hard...i've done it in at least 13 of my songs. The signatures are in the song options like brian said.

You could alternatively use cool edit pro to make a 'fade in' or 'fade out' tempo change with pitch bender.

10. yeah...nevermind the pitch bend thing...you could script it to change the tempo without altering the pitch, but i'm not going to get into that..

11. hey its wayne rockafeller

12. "Rockefeller"..no "a", but close enough...it would probably matter if it was my real name..