Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

frusterated playing bass HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jake_tim, Oct 1, 2005.

1. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    im getting tired of playing old stuff, i need some insparation or some fun bass stuff to learn, anyone have any suggestions, help wwill be appreciated
    thanx

-Jake

2. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    so i guess no one knows anything about things to do with a bass do they? hmm

-Jake

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I was trying to think what to say to help you, but I am blocked by the "old stuff" you mentioned because I don't know what it is. Not knowing at what level you have been playing, I cannot advise you as to how to procede to newer and fresher material.

Well, let me try anyway. Whatever style of music you have been playing, how about trying a new style? If you specialize in punk metal, try country. If you specilize in pop, try salsa or merengue. If you specialize in church music, try polka or blue grass. Try blues. Try easy listening jazz (as something tells me you may not quite be ready for more complex jazz).

Or if you know a variety of chords, try scales amd modes. Work on the major and minor pentatonic and blues scales, for example.

If you don't read music, learn how. If you have a four-string bass, try a five-string bass. Try to compose music. Try to transcribe music you like or if you can't, try to play music on your bass you hear on the radio or on your CDs.

Get in a band. There is probably no faster way to improve as a bass player than join a band. You will discover in a hurry where your weaknesses and strengths lie and you will be very motivated to fill in the gaps in your music ability.

Good luck. You are doing the right thing to try to find out how to grow as a bass player.