Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frustraition!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SONICATTACK, Mar 7, 2002.

1. SONICATTACK

SONICATTACK

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    This stinks!
    I don't know whether my G.A.S got out of control but I just returned my newly aquired EBS Multidrive. This is of course after I returned Fulltone Bassdrive, Ibanez PD7, and Trying to sell the Budda Phat Bass (which I'm still trying to do if anyone is interested) what in the world is wrong with me? Is my Bass-Tone aquisition addiction coming back to haunt me?!
    I Began my search to find the Ultimate Distortion pedal, and I keep comming up with Great overdrive pedals but nothing that satisfies the sounds I'm hearing. :mad: :confused:
    which I really don't need an overdrive cause the my Carvin R600 has a tube pre in it. . . .

does anyone have any other suddjestions ( other than the (sans amp bass driver) Otherwise someone please tell me to stop and just forget about distortion and Bass.

:(

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    This may be obvious, but have you tried a Big Muff Pi? :D

3. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I have a r1000, and the tube is useless. If you want a good tube overdrive sound, I would just bite the bullet and get a tube preamp.

4. It's IOD Time.

5. Ping! We have a winner! Much better then the Ampeg SVP-BSP; I should know I used to have the one. No lows, no warmth and no tone. Try one out, you'll be suprised...

6. Perhaps a fuzz would have the sound you're after?

7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    yeah, steamboat and I are the fuzz advocates here... :)

8. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    How about a Zvex Wooly Mammoth? great fuzzy tone and it actually seems to boost your bass signal. I almost bought one one time, but I decided I like overdrive better (thus I got the Fulltone instead).

-KB

9. If you decide to try the fuzz route, here's a list of some fuzzes that you might want to keep an eye out for:

Crowther Audio Prunes and Custard
    Prescription Electronics Depth Charge
    Frantone Lo-Tone Classic Fuzz (I have this and I love it!)
    Zvex Wooly Mammoth
    Sustain Punch Creamy Dreamer (I don't think I've heard of anyone using one with bass but it's essentially suped up Big Muff so it would probably work just fine)
    Electroharmonix Big Muff (this has had lots of reissues and the quality varies a lot even within the same generation.. so I'd only buy one if I'd tried out the same pedal)

Fuzz (especially when used on bass) is really subjective, so I'd advise against buying without trying. What someone describes as fat and warm might sound flabby and muddy to you, what someone describes as edgy might sound thin to you.

Also I wouldn't shy away from anything because it isn't as expensive as other pedals. The Big Muff is by far the least expensive pedal that I listed, but if it gets you the sound you want, more power to you.

10. Oh yea.. most of those will be really hard to find. The EH Big Muff is the only one I can think of that would be easily found unless you are in an area with a lot of boutique amps/effects dealers. Maybe you could find an online dealer with a good shipping/return policy. :)

11. SONICATTACK

SONICATTACK

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    Thanks Everyone!! Your responses are very helpful!
    Although Donne, and Big Feet are you referring to the Interstellar Overdrive. That sucker's like 700 beans. But I'm sure it's worth it, and I can hook it up to a QSC and it can be a second set-up! :D And a fuzz... would that be more like a regular Guitar Distortion?

I just want something that Id be totally happy with.
    Kinda like when I bought my TC Electronic SCF. It was 300 bucks and I was sweating over the cost but I’m so happy with it. And I haven't even tried it out in Stereo yet. (Which I heard was way more impressive than mono) Any way keep responding this is really helping me out...

Thanks everyone!!!!! :)

12. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    You should check out the Gallien Krueger DieselDawg.

13. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    Have you though of an EHX "Hot Tubes"? No idea what it sounds like but it's supposed to run the tubes with extra current to get a really OD sound.
    If you want a tube gain proper like then that would fit the category. You'd need to go somewhere to try it though!

14. Hmm... good examples of fuzz bass..

I'll say that the Radiohead songs "National Anthem" and "Exit Music for a Film" are pretty good. The fuzz doesn't kick in into until the end of Exit Music. When playing live, Colin, RH's bassist, gets sort of a different sound but its still what I'd consider fuzz. I think a recording of them playing National Anthem on Saturday Night Live should be pretty easy to find online if you're into the whole filesharing thing.

Paul McCartney has done some fuzz bass stuff.. Mean Mister Mustard off of Abbey Road is the only song that comes to mind right now.

15. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Melikes rhead fuzz lines... they use a crappy $60 pawn shop japanise fuzz... sometimes a companion disto live.

Thom actually recorded the bass for national anthem, so it was a lot different than when colin plays it live :)

16. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I agree. Colin Greenwood's fuzz bass sound is fantastic. What does he use? It sounds like a really high gain type of sound.

17. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    IMHO the reason that you dont like the overdrives you have tried is because they all use preamp distortion. The IOD should be worth trying (I have not) because it uses poweramp distortion.

I personally use a Trace Elliot V4 and nothing comes close to 220w of KT88's going into saturation.

18. Tech 21 XXL

great (imo) overdrive/distortion pedal for both gtr and bass. Details on tech 21's site. Discontinued so goto ebay. Look at reviews on harmony.

I run it into my sans amp bass driver and it sounds great for high gain sounds.

The warp control is unique and allows you to create amplifier 'sag' and thick warm fuzzy waves of pulsating overdrive.

If you are into 70's stoner-doom/my bloody valentine vibe its perfect.

With the warp set to the nominal position it's a good high-gain overdrive sound.

If you are familiar with neil youngs tone on those ark-weld albums then you know what I mean.

I believe this simulates power tubes on the verge of melt-down. No other 'typical' dist pedal I've tried creates that massivly compressed thick wall of fuzzy treacle.

Its high-gain, so the lowest gain setting is already pretty driven. Do not buy for 'just breaking up sounds' unless you have very weak pickups :)

I'm probably going to get a Tech 21 comptortion to compress and boost/slighty grit the bass signal before going into the sans amp.

The sansamp BDDI is not high gain. I back the treble off and boost the presence for overdriven sounds (drive on full).

The 'just breaking up sound' is a kind of holy grail of tone it seems and i'm not totally happy with the BDDI - as the signal drops below and above the clipping threshold sometimes theres a crackling in the background (like when you fade a note out), rather than a pure smooth transition that I *assume* you get with tubes.