Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frustrated beyond Belief

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jun 21, 2004.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    The last 3 days just havent been my cup of tea. Friday i got my computer, after paying for it 6 months ago. i set it up in my room and it works awsome, i got on the net, downloaded all my programs off the other computer, and so on, and t'was working dandy. So then the guy who made the computer for us brings over a set of speakers for me. 2 Saelitte speakers and a sub. They look quite the part, but i turn them on and i can hear the local radio station. yes, my speakers are so pooly insulated that they pick up radio frequencies. I cannot listen to ANYTHING on my computer, because the interferance kills it. So then i let that go, and figure i can save my pennies for some decent studoi monitors, because i want to start up my own little studio.

I go to school this morning and tell my teacher that i finally got my computer. I tell him the specs, and he says thats good, but they are all the specs from last year (when i ordered it) and that illneed to upgrade to make a uality recording. Thats ok, a few more meg here, a bit of RAM there, fine by me. my teacher then proceeds to tell me that i have to perform in front of the whole school on Tuesday Night. I freak out a little, because my bass is royally *****. The input jack is gone, and i need a new one. Thats ok, i can just take it to th repair man and he will have it done for $20 in 15 minutes.

So after school i wander down to the bank and take out some money to pay for something i brought of ebay. 2 weeks ago, i had $200 in my bank account, im now sitting on $4.25. After paying my dues to a few mates, i have alot less than i thought. Im so frustrated right now, because im un-employed, i need to buy a $500 sound card for my computer, $700 Monitors, $1000 Mixer, $160 Bass pickup, and other bits and pieces here and there from ebay. I also have a computer that goes like the clappers, but it just has a VERY slow connection, and dad always yells at me when its going slow, because i do too much at once (according to him)

I know no one really cares about the last 3 days of my life, but i just need to vent before i slam my head through something hard. It sucks being 17 :spit:

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    That sucks

If you end up really stuck for a bass Kirb, I have a Warwick FOrtress Flashback 5 with my brother in Melb that you can borrow for the night. Just drop me a PM if you are in need.

3. Tez

Tez

Jan 24, 2004
    Australia
    I gota P pickup you can have works well out of a 80s MIJ P Bass

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow. kudos for being a standup guy :)

5. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.

Wow...thanks man. I think ill manage with the school POS Essex, but wow, thanks for the offer.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    No worries dude - always happy to help out. At the moment that bass is just gathering dust (unless my brother is using it) - so it would have done it some good to get a workout. (That said I can't testify as to the state of the strings on it!)

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

I'm sure you dont need a $500 soundcard. Shop around.

Infact, i dont think i can even think of a s/c that costs $500

8. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    ^ Yeah, no offense, but what's with NEEDing all this expensive stuff? $700 Monitors, $1000 Mixer, etc. I can't afford that and I'm 22. Hell, my ENTIRE GIGGING rig barely adds up to all the miscellaneous stuff you mentioned. Wait until you have to pay rent and see how much of that stuff you really NEED. No offense, but try to enjoy what you have man, dayum.

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Trying coming to Australia, you won't have to look far.

10. John, tell him how we're not supposed to say that anymore.

11. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    E Mu, M-Audio, RME etc. all make cards that cost that much and some that cost a lot more. Need is relative.

13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    What? You're 17 and dont have a Job? Hell, if you were my friend and came over to MY house, MY dad would Slap ya!!!

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Kirbs, get you're computer guy to take those speakers back and replace them with something else. They're clearly faulty.

As for sound cards, The one I've got was cheap as chips and came with an older version of Logic Audio software and a breakout box with 8 inputs/4outputs. No it's not good enough for top 40 quality recordings, but it's a good little beginner package which I haven't outgrown yet. I see them on Ebay all the time for $300Aus. PM me if you want details.

Also the mixer I use cost me $200Aus brand new, plus $80 for an effects card than slots into it. It ain't great but it was all I could afford at the time, and it does the job. Again, PM me for details.

Patience my son. Build your studio bit by bit. Start cheap and upgrade later on.

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You can live w/o a mixer doing pc audio anyway. Use the software to mix. You need mic pre's, but whay waste money on crappy eq's and gain stages instead of putting it into the mic pre's?