Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frustrated Chimp Takes Up Smoking

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Aug 30, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3611666.stm

This is just like the Chinese to not prevent the chimp from smoking.
    When I lived there I went to this zoo up north in Changchun and there was a giant monkey area and people were throwing all kinds of junk to the monkeys. It was entertaining though to see a monkey pick up a bottle of punch, unscrew the cap and drink it just like a human....not that I endorse that kind of stuff. :ninja:

The interesting thing was that some of the zoo workers lived literally IN the monkey area. This old lady came out of here home and was chunking cans and junk at the monkeys to get them away from her front door.

brad cook

2. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I blame the tobacco companies. They need to put the surgeon general's warning in 'chimp' on the outside of the box. Is it the monkey's fault that she can't read the warning?

Discrimination!
    Discrimination!
    Discrimination!

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Monkey see, monkey do...

4. There's a primate center near where I live. Several years ago, some of them were set free (a weird gothic girl who I used to know claimed that she was the one who set them free, but her story involves her working at the primate center for community service, which I would assume is impossible.)A good riend of mine lives closer to it, in an area w/ lots of trees, and used'ta be we could walk around at night and hear the monkeys hootin.' Only if it's monkey season, though....

While I don't live very close to any monkeys, a mile or so up the highway from where I live (counrtry, y'all) there's a field where some person keep, get this, llamas and beefalos. Yep. In the same fenced in area, llamas and beefalos.

For those of you who don't know, beefalos are buffalos genetically spliced w/ bovines.

5. Seems like the people shoulda' smoked the cigarettes rather than just letting them burn. The tiny particles would be the ones which would be easily taken in by the lungs, meaning that if people had been smoking the cigarettes the outcome would have been significantly different..

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, their lungs would have been filled with particulates instead of mine.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I have a friend who lives in Zhengzhou. I'll have to ask him if he's seen this chimp yet.

I was at another zoo once down in Hefei, China and that one was even more ghetto than the one I described above that had people living with the animals. This one was a bit more sad though. They had a camel who's hump was almost flat...which is a sign of malnutrition, there was a yak with flies covering his eyes and a tiger that sounded like it had bronchitis. From a long way away it sounded like it was growling and I was thinking "Wow, that's one vocal lion or tiger." But when I got close I realized it was coughing...poor guy. They also had a donkey on display at this zoo for some reason. Also, I went into the reptile house and I was looking at one of the snakes and a guy walks up and takes it out and offers it to me to hold. Never had that happen at a zoo. I declined though when I noticed that one of the guy's hands was all bandaged up. Never take a snake from a guy who's hand is covered in bandages.

brad cook