1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Frustrated fingers!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by boger1977, Oct 11, 2010.

1. boger1977

boger1977

Oct 11, 2010
    I consider myself a beginner even though I've been "playing bass" for 4 years. I've had lessons for a short time, but quit because they were too expensive. I can play along with friends fairly well just for some background bass sound, mostly by ear. My problem is, I want to be a better player but I need to know how to fix my left hand finger positioning. I noticed that when most "good" bass players play, their fingers fall flat on the strings. but my fingers look like this first pic. And when I try to play a simple blues chord my fingers bunch up like the second pic. How can I fix this so my fingers will go in the right places??? Any help would be very valuable to me and much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. pandaman37

pandaman37 Inactive

Sep 17, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    well it just looks like youre angling them a bit strange, but tbh it looks like you have the 4 fret- 4 finger technique down. if it doesnt affect your playing adversely, id say forget about it. it could just be the way your fingers are what with the joints and stuff.

3. Bassguy87564

Bassguy87564

Jul 5, 2006
    NJ
    Well you need to relax your hand it looks like you have a lot of tension in your hand. Your joints should not bend inward thats what happens when you try to lay your fingers flat on the fingerboard. The way your fingers are curved and the tips are pressing down in the second picture is more like it you just need to relax you hand. Also you don't have to reach all first 4 frets while holding down the first fret you can move your hand a little.

4. MosGuy

MosGuy Keep it low and thumping..

Dec 26, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It appears like your fingers are "caving in". Which may mean they could benefit with being stronger, or possibly as mentioned you might be putting too much force. If it was me I would go back to basics. Starting off with finger strengthening for example this exercise is pretty good: . Along with that I would do hammer-ons and pull-offs for each individual finger. Once I was comfortable with that I'd do finger permutations & spider walk exercises. That will develop full independence of each finger. The key to any of the above though is forget about speed. Aim for strength and accuracy of your fingers. Once accuracy is down then speed will come over time. You may have to go at what seems a dead slow pace. If practiced daily you should notice improvement in a week or two, possibly less. That's just my general take at least.

5. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    Is the first pic supposed to show how you'd fret those notes?

You're supposed to put your finger as close as you can get to the fret without being on top of it, for one. Also try to use the very tips of your fingers as often as you can to fret, it simply takes less energy to get the note down and is more consistent, as well as you don't get those weird looking finger bends happening.

As you practice try to keep note of any unnecessary tension and gradually reduce it

6. Don't grip so hard. Your thumb is for reference and a pivot point... Not an anchor to pull against. Hold your hand palm up. Pull your fingers to your palm without moving your thumb. Those are the muscles you should be using.

7. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Here is a link that shows good L/H technique :

8. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    You don't look very comfortable in those pics, mate. Relax and let your hands dictate your style. Forcing what isn't natural leads to injury.

9. boger1977

boger1977

Oct 11, 2010
    Thanks for the input people!

10. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
  11. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    I juste looked at the vid and it is what I was talking about and showing with my picture.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021