Frustrated with bass-minded band member!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Cornellius, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Cornellius

Jan 5, 2004
    Hey guys,

I play in a Neo-Soul band with a keyboard leader that LOOVES bass. FOr most of his songs he writes the bass lines for me to play with his keyboard. He has pretty good idea(as a keyboardist) for basslines in songs, but I usually contribute my Jaco/Miller style to the covers and originals.

He's been talking about buying a bass himself and having me on keyboards or guitar(which we've done in the past). However, I get frustrated and somewhat irritated when I realize people couldn't see the diff. between me and him.

Another thing he does from time to time is put a fake bass patch on his keyboard and do these crazy keyboard runs and battle with me. It bothers me because he could that on a record, and I'd be out of a job. Does ANYONE ever feel this way about keyboardists?????

I'm in the writing business as he is as well, but I don't assign parts to play
  2. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Personally I hate keyboardists that play with a heavy left hand.

For the most part, keyboardists do this out of necessity to accompany themselves. Then when they get into a band situation they can't lay off.

I have yet to meet a keyboardist that "plays bass" on keys very well. I mean if there was no bass player and the bass was left up to the keyboardist, it would suck.

Just my opinion.
  3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Someone should've told that to The Doors. :p
  4. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks for proving my point. :)
  5. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    yes, its a bit of a threat. Nothing worse than someone else trying to take over your instrument.

You need to tell him to lay off the bass lines, or perhaps you find another band.
  6. yea, i mean, tell him to shove off and stick to the high end like he should, you can't be crowding all over the low end. if he gives youa problem, let him put on his keyboard patch and leave. he can play all the damn bass he wants, but once people figure he's just a keyboardist, he'll regret the fact that he did, because there's gona be a crapload more expectation from him
  7. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I absolutly, possitivily, will not join a band with a keyboard player. If you don't walk down the street then there isn't a chance you'll fall into the pot hole.
  8. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    That is alot of crap man. At that point I would put being nice asside and tell him to play bass for another band if he wants too so bad.
  9. Cornellius

Jan 5, 2004
    thanks guys--

thing is, he's not a mean guy by any means, open-minded, and he wouldn't mind if i play keys on some stuff.. but he just likes to mess around a lot

-so much for ranting :bag:
  10. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The problem isn't that he's a keyboard player; the problem is that he's a complete egotist.

One way to get the message across is to simply stop playing when he starts with the keyboard bass lines. Maybe pop off and grab a slice, then come back and watch the show. I think he'll take the hint.
  11. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Heh, I did that once - but it wasn't my band. I was doing a sit in job for a friend, who was in a band with keys. The guy started playing more and more bass lines on the keys, so at one point I went upstairs (we were in a basement), got a plate of food, came down, sat on the couch and ate. The guitarist and drummer both looked at me and asked why I did that, and I said, "You guys don't need a bassist, you already have one"... cool thing was, they told the keyboardist to stop! I don't tolerate crap in bands - if you're going to cover my ground, I'm not going to play - what's the point?

12. When I've had to deal with that, I just challenge myself to come up with cooler, funkier lines than the keyboard player can. It's worked for me, but I can be belligerent at times.
  13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I've had the same thing with a new guitarplayer. It was his first rehearsal with the rest of the band, and all of the sudden he pops out tab sheets, gives me one, and says: "here, this is your line, you can mannage it or do I have demonstrate it to you?"

Man, was I pissed, don't take no crap from keyboardplayers/guitarists wathever..make it obvious to him that you are the bassplayer and that it's you who write the basslines.
  14. if the line is good and the best one for the song, who gives a d@mn who wrote it?

it seems that all parties involved should chill out and write together and not worry about who does what.

listen to string quartets more and don't be afraid to go up high while the keyboardest goes low.

or lay out for a few bars.

and remember that most times a double whole note is far better for a song than anything that Marcus Miller would do.

in fact, you should be glad tat you have another bass-minded member in the band. that way you have a direct reference to listen to and learn a new approach to the bottom end.
  15. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    One of the problems with a keyboard player who plays bass with their left hand is that the bottom end sounds out of tune. Unless you guys can read each other's mind's it's inevitable that you'll walk over each other.

Maybe you can use this as an opportunity to expand your bass playing. He can lay down a groove and you can add textural things like tapped harmonics, wierd arpeggios, notes above the 12th fret or something like that. If the keyboard player is groovin, then he's giving you room to stretch out.

Personally, I'd love an opportunity to play guitar or keyboards once in a while. It will only improve my musical abilities. Unfortunately/fortunately when people hear me play bass, that's the only thing they want me to play.

If you want to be the groove man, then work something out with the keyboard player. Otherwise, use him to YOUR advantage.

I have nothing against keyboard bass players when I know that is what they are going to do, and the music fits it. In fact, I'm impressed when someone can pull it off properly.
  16. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

SOULIVE! Neil Evans more than handles the low end :)
  17. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    If you have another keyboard, just start playing it during all of his keyboard parts so he gets the idea of what he's doing to you.

Even though my band uses keyboard sometimes, I'm the one who plays it as well. Ever tried tapping a bassline with one hand while playing the keyboard with the other? I have, maybe that would get your point across.
  18. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    THIS IS WHY YOU DONT HAVE KEYBOARD PLAYERS IN BANDS. didnt mean to yell, but people, wake up, recognize, you dont need some dude "tickle ivory's"

19. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I think what you need to do is start playing chords. Like, all the time...

...Mmm... yeah... Lots and lots of big, huge, full sounding, fifteen-string bass chords.

With distortion.

I bet he'll get the message.

20. +1.....But not on every tune ;)