Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frustrated with Full Circle

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Bobby King, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'm pissed and frustrated about my Full Circle pickup. This is the second one that's broken and I think I'm giving up on it. You know how the tone changes as you turn the wheel and repeats every quarter turn? So, to get the same tone but raise or lower the bridge you have to go a quarter turn at a time. I've done this a few times, not being rough with it or anything, just experimenting with heights when I change strings or whatever. After a while the first time it shorted out completely; then I got my luthier to get me a replacement; now this one makes a loud farting noise everytime I play a note, no matter where the wheel is set. I really liked the pickup when it worked but they seem not to be very durable. Back to old faithful, Mr. Underwood!

Anyone else have problems with these?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    My first one went bad like that at a really inopportune time. Fishman replaced it immediately, and I haven't had any trouble with the replacement. I heard a rumor that there was a bad run of them early on, but that they had terminated their quality control problem, and that the later ones were OK. I will say that Fishman really turned the broken unit around very quickly, which was nice. These days, I always carry a spare pickup in my bag just in case.

3. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Yup, same problem here. Called tech support at Fishman and they sent me a brand new one right away...cheers!

They said they had a problem with all units made before April or June of '05 and anything made after that should be fine. Mine was indeed purchased this past spring and totally went out on me under very conservative adjustment conditions. So far, my new one is working just fine...although I haven't really spun it around all that much out of FEAR! :eek:

Good luck.

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Mine never shorted out but I switched back to regular adjuster wheels. Both was the FC a P in the A when it came to getting just the right height. I like mess with the adjusters a 1/4 turn at a time just to get the right feel for the tension. But with the FC, I only liked the open 90 degree position. So that meant I could only turn the adjusters a half turn every time - no fine adjustments.

I'm using a Revolution Solo right now and I don't miss the Full Circle one bit. Now I can get it just how I like it. :)

5. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I went through 2 FC's that fried then gave up. Came back this summer with 3 new ones and all are superb.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    How do you fit 3 on a bridge?

7. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree fully. The Revolution Solo is a marked improvement over both the Full Circle and the Realist. It just seems to have a more natural and balanced sound than either. IMO of course.

8. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    His profile indicates he has three basses.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    But that's not funny at all.

10. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Sorry - typo. I meant I like KFC 'cause it's fried.

11. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Tell me about the Revolution Solo, where/how does it attach?
    Does it require a preamp, etc.? Thanks!

12. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Check out the huge thread on Revolution Solo. It is around 9 pages long I think! Wing mounted pickup that is very natural sounding. I think it sounds better with a preamp or through an AI amp, but certainly sounds good without. I have never had so many compliments on my tone.

13. Now that's funny.