frustrated with my swr's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist286, Sep 27, 2005.

1. bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    at a recent band practice, my amp volume cut pretty much in half. like 3 songs into rehersal. playing at 2 my amp is usualy very audable, but at some point it gets quite and very very distorted. i have no idea what it coudl be. i think i might jsut need new cabnets? please help. use my profile for my gea.r
  2. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    other than the obvious "have you checked your battery in your bass" question, I would guess it's your amp. I had a goliath 3/ son of bertha set up with an swr sm500 and NEVER had a problem being heard- swr cabs are pretty efficient and loud. there many variables here though- how do you have your amp eq'ed? if you've got the lows maxxed out that's sucking up your power right there. are both your cabs 8 ohms, thus presenting your amp with a 4 ohm load? that amp puts out 1250 watts into a 4 ohm load- that's a lot of watts, so you should have no problem being heard. can you check your cabs with another head? maybe one of your cables is shot as well...
  3. "Quiet and very distorted" does sound like the battery in your bass... or blown speakers :eek: .

I'd follow Fred's advice & start trying different combinations of gear to isolate the problem (bass, instrument cable, head, speaker cable(s), cabinet(s)).

Also, you can check the speakers by taking off the grill and (very carefully) applying light, consistant pressure to the cone. A healthy speaker should move in and out (when you release pressure) quite freely. Speakers with over-heated voice coils will rub, feel scratchy or not move at all....