1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Frustrated

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by willkt6, Apr 18, 2006.

1. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    It turns out my slap technique was incorrect! I'm learning it again of Bunny Brunel's site but this is very frustrating!

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    What was wrong with it before? I'm very leery of "incorrect", especially if you were getting the sound you wanted.

3. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    KĂžbenhavn
    Bunny just teaches the technique he uses himself. There are many schools of slap technique (and technique in general), and necessarily, these must dictate such terms as 'right' and 'wrong'. But a term as 'wrong' (or 'incorrect', if you will) is only valid within the technique in question. As Pacman says, if it sounded good and felt right, why should you abandon your earlier approach just because Bunny uses a different technique? Then what happens when you find out what Wooten's doing? And Marcus? Will you start all over again?

4. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Don't replace...Add.
    Why change your technique??
    Even if the new technique have some advantages (speed or other sounding that you like) Don't learn It instead of the old technique, keep on practicing and using the old technique but at the same time learn the new technique to gain It's advantages.

Adi

5. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    thanks for the words people, but my popping was fine, but i when i slapped i used to attack straight down on the string, never really sounding the note, just getting thump. i thought something was up, i just didn't know what, so i carried on like it.

6. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    If you like it use it - if you want to learn others' sound practice it - but I bet there are bassists out there going'Dude how does he get that sound? I love it"

7. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    i suppose...but this seems a lot more proper...i got a nice sound on the b e a with my technique but the d and g didnt really sound when slapped...ill make a hybrid technique!

8. dabass

dabass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    Check out Ed Friedland's slap DVD...Some really good solid "well laid out" info..

9. What is your slap technique as of now?

10. geoffkhan - from Musicianwar.com? if so, this is Gremlin. Hi dude :)

Willkt6 - theres no "correct" or "incorrect" technique. Do whatever works for you. If your technique can't accomodate a certain style that you hear a bassist you really like playing, then learn that as ANOTHER technique, for playing those kind of lines.

11. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    as i said, i kind of slap towards the pickup not down towards the string below

12. Hey Gremlin! Long time no see. I actually haven't been doing MusicianWar for a few months, but I'm going to get back into it... I have a new, really sweet bass (smooth slap tone!!) and have improved chops, so... :)