Frustration du jour...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Oct 2, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Okay, so I've been playing with this classic rock cover band since I dusted off my bass a little over a year ago. I've whined on TB about this band in the past, but all in all they'd be a great 'B' project... if only I had an 'A' project. All nice guys, and with the exception of one member, very good players who I'd be pleased to work with in a different project. Problem is that they seem to be "stuck" in a mindset that is going to limit them to playing either somewhat poorly-chosen classic rock covers or possibly some tired-sounding classic rock style originals that will attract an even smaller audience. Ironically, these guys are a bit younger than me, too.

This project was supposed to be an 'interim' one for me from the start, but a year out and it's still my main gig. I've truly done just about everything I can to find another project, but to no avail. I've settled on trying to find a cover band that actually plays crowd-pleasing, popular music. Seems an easier proposition than putting together an original project that would hold my interest, but I've had no luck. Seems like my area (smallish blue collar southern city) has a fairly good and active music scene, but only for certain limited genres. The teen set has their punk/hardcore/screamo scene, then there are the metal guys, the younger 'new school' ones and the 'old school' cats. The country scene was once thriving, but has just about totally dried up in recent years. Then there are your blues and classic rock guys, and my current band is pretty much as good as it gets in that field, locally, anyway. Anyway, that's about it for the local scene, sadly...

Well, my hard work at networking has actually started to yield a few good, promising contacts. People who want to play some crowd-pleasing gigs for money - hallelujah!, right? One minor problem... these guys don't have real day jobs - they are darn pros! I am thrilled to be moving into the upper ranks of my local scene, as it were, but all I really want is to find weekend warriors like myself, who are on the same wavelength. Anyway, I begged for sub work from one guy and after finally getting that opportunity to prove myself, I started getting calls from him - mostly last minute calls for out of town shows. Just too much for a guy with a good career job to handle. Another promising lead is turning out the same way - just too demanding and erratic a schedule to fit with my day gig.

Sigh... like I said, it's not that I'm seeking out the top players on my local scene out of some sense that I'm too good for the other weekend warriors, it's just that *nobody* outside of these guys seems to want to play "marketable" covers. A lot of folks whine about how the local clubs hire out-of-town bands, but ask them to play the type of pop covers these bands offer, and they'll take offense and insist that people really want to hear what they want to play (it's just that the evil club owners/booking agents have their heads up their rears).

Anyway, I guess the point of this rambling rant is to ask if anyone else has experienced anything similar to this. I would like to think that I would fare better in a bigger town, but my daily perusal of Houston area musician boards shows a pretty similar focus on commercially unviable guitar-driven punk-to-hardcore-to-metal sort of genres. I even tried out for and was offered a spot in a Houston cover band, but H-town is about 100 miles west, and I have a career... boohoo! Anyway, like I said, anyone else encounter anything similar?
  2. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    The solution to your "problem" is really quite simple.. you're ready to go solo now. Spread your wings and take flight, because you've got some marvelous compositions ahead of you, adoring fan-girls swooning. It'll be great.

:) :) Go for it man.. be a hero!
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, let's just say I've got a few 'mole hills' left to cover before I'm ready to ascend the 'mountain' of solo bass...