Frustration with Straight Eighths

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by str8_bourbon, Jun 22, 2005.

1. I've recently tried to learn a couple songs with pretty much straight eighth notes(mostly roots, on the down beat), few chord changes, around the tempo of 160, but with little or no rests. At first glance, I thought, simple bassline, should be easy, but when I tried, it was anything but easy. My fingers tired very easily when playing the same note throughout numerous bars, and the notes came out very unevenly, I also kept losing my count of the beat, tried tapping my foot, but that only made it worse. This is really frustrating and strange, because I can play other songs with roughly the same tempo, but with much more complicated (rythm & melody wise) basslines (relatively speaking). Playing with a pick would probably be easier, but I prefer playing with my fingers. Any help, suggestions would be appreciated :help:
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    learn the basic groove (chord changes)

turn on metronome to about 120

start off slowly and gradually increase the speed until you get to the original tempo

don't try this all at patient, take about a week or two to get to the original tempo

ALWAYS - when you are having time problems, slow things down and remain patient

good luck!
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1. You just haven't worked up to that speed yet.
  4. Thanks! definitely sounds like a good idea~