Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frustration

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JWC, Feb 4, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Does anyone ever get so frustrated and exhausted trying to practice really tough songs and get so aggrivated you sound terrible and feel like you can't do crap? I feel like that right now :(

2. Yep!

Thats when it's time to put down the old bass and do something else for a while untill you have the urge to play again otherwise you soon learn that it is either very costly to repair your equipment or very painful!

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Breathing exercises.

4. I use to get that way alot until I changed my methods of learning and practicing . One thing that I found when trying to learn difficult passages or the suttle nuances of a paticular player off a recording, is having a good set of headphones and unplugging your bass. After listening to the song a few times to establish the key ,pattern etc ,I Put on the headphones on just one ear and turn my practice amp off.( Its been my experience that until your pretty sure you've got it right, having your amp on is just muddying up the whole process.)I then put my chin on the upper horn shape of the bass to let it resonate in my head and just sweat and grind till I think I've got something right ,then plug and play along anyway it works for me most of time. remember you can't play it till you've really heard it

5. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    sometimes its liek to much at you at once, so practice a tiny bit of it slowly at first with frequent breaks, maybe do a couple pushups i between, have some coffee or something and get back to it.
    Old teaching trick... the human mind best remembers starts and finishes, so frequent short breaks create more starts and finishes, allowing you to retain more knowledge more effectively.

6. jimstick

jimstick

Dec 8, 2000
    Whenever you get frustrated, turn to the drummer and give a good kick to the "kick" drum. You will then have about 30 seconds to make your getaway as the drummer stumbles around his kit to try to get at you!

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Step away from the bass.

There's a lot of good advice in this thread, including breaking the hard parts into smaller pieces that are easier to chew.