Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frustration

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by McHack, Jan 23, 2006.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Sigh,

A couple of months back, I hooked up w/ a group of guys under the premise that we wanted to be gigging by spring.

There have been some shortcomings along the way. I'm not certain of our singers stage appeal, or his ability to endure a full, 3-set gig from 9pm - 1am. But, he's said he wants to start working out, to help his stamina. That's good.

Now... our lead guitarist is an expectant father, who's wife has recently become bed ridden, as there have been managable complications w/ her pregnancy. He's missed more than one practice, which, given his circumstances, you cant really blame him.

I'm just feeling like this is going no where, & am rather bummed cuz I joined these guys w/ the premise that we wanted to be gigging.... SOON.

2. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

what ?!?!.....i never said ... how could that have ...wait , you said it was ...
    oh , dammnit to heck ...there wasn't any time ... when did it ???...
    oh , fer cryin' out loud ... *@%+#%!!
    :bag:

sorry about your situation , hang in there and keep playing
    that bass !! :D

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Oh I will... if any thing, this has made me more determined to get more involved.

4. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    The bowl is 1/2 full. You could be in worse situations.... like a band with bull****ters and flakes.

As David said, hang in there. Hit some jams to get your rocks off in the meantime. :)

DCat,

5. Tingly

Tingly

Jul 16, 2005
    Yonkers, NY
    My experience has been that being in a band is all about overcoming problems, from the first audition note, to the end of the last encore, at the gig.

Personalities, choice of material, schedules, travel, equipment, commercial and venue issues, all have to be dealt with on a daily basis. All this, in a world in which, if you put two people in the same room, they usually can't even agree on the temperature.

DaftCat is right. I've seen (and been in) worse.

6. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Hang in there...my band is growing but too slowly to me. I joined about 5 months ago..they just lost their guitarist and they added me and i needed time to get it together since it was my real first time in a band since high school. I came along ok but still struggle at times as does the band on a few cover tunes but in all we can play 30-40 of the 50 we want to do well. We added a guitarist and he stuck around a few months and left ..now we have another who's dedicated but learning the songs and fitting in. I thought we would be closer to playing out but now are looking to spring which is really when we should be ready (hope) i just had a health scare and am plugging along but its tough...we just gotta keep trying.

7. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Keep working and supporting them. Sounds like their hearts are in the right place. Sometimes real life gets in the way but, what can you do?

I hope all works out with your guitarists wife and baby.

Nice guy suggestion...my previous band had a similar medical problem and the band pooled some money together and bought the family dinner from a steakhouse and brought it by the house. Or, even better, have the band go over and help them for a couple hours some afternoon...clean the house, chores, errands, grocery shop, rake leaves, whatever...it's amazing what can be done with 3 people. Not only will it help out the family, it will give you a chance to chat with your guitarist about the band.

8. This could be a great opportunity to step up and take charge. If thats what you want to do. Write some songs. Ones with cool bass parts.
    You could also temporarily jam with another band. You might learn something new. If its a gigging band, make some contacts with promoters and the people who you'll need to know when your band gets rolling.

The glass is half full, dude. The glass is half full.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well,

It's just a little frustrating, w/ our first gig coming up in the middle of next month. We think he might still make that, but I'm expecting that'll be the last we see of him.

Interestingly, we went to practice, & everyone was alll moping around & stuff. I merely pointed that out, that we were all moping around, & it turning into a really tight practice,, just w/o the lead guitarist.

I gonna hang out, & see who we can dig up... but, at the same time, listen to any leads that I may find.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'm always of the opinion that playing out in ANY band is better than not playing at all. Its much easier to find another gig when you're out there being seen, meeting other musicians, and active. When I'm between gigs "that I want", I always take whatever is available in the meantime, and it as ALWAYS paid off.

Let me know where you're playing, dude!

11. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    <<<Nice guy suggestion...my previous band had a similar medical problem and the band pooled some money together and bought the family dinner from a steakhouse and brought it by the house. Or, even better, have the band go over and help them for a couple hours some afternoon...clean the house, chores, errands, grocery shop, rake leaves, whatever...it's amazing what can be done with 3 people. Not only will it help out the family, it will give you a chance to chat with your guitarist about the band.
    >>>

That is a lovely idea! Plus, the pregnant wife will *never* forget it. She will probably be the band's biggest supporter, because she will remember that the guys in the band were there for the family when they needed help.

Cherie