Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frustration!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, May 6, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I mentioned awhile back that I'm working on a novel, and all was going well. Now I'm up to over 13,000 words, and I've hit a wall! :mad: Ideawise, I'm stuck! This stinks to high hell! Any writers in the house to offer help? I tried walking away from it for a while, but it's been 2 months now!

2. Can I read it? Or do I have to wait until it's published?

Hey, I'm only sixteen, but I could help. :D

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Take a page from the TV show writers. When things start to get slow either do a wacky dream sequence or bring in a lovable little kid.

brad cook

ps - sorry...this isn't helping

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Have a chase scene and a shoot-out in a disco. It works on TV when they are out of ideas.

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    bp13

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    All I have written were short stories- nothing more than 25 pages or so. The best thing I could do was just walk away. Too bad most of my writing was for school, so I didn't have the leisure of waiting for me muse. :D

Tell yourself you won't write for two days, and go on a walk in the woods. Read some Emerson.

If you have strong characters, they'll make their own decisions. Put a central character in the center of a piece of paper, and around him write situations that COULD arise. Then think about how he would react if his cat died, if the other protaganist died, if he won the lottery and didn't have to be monk anymore, etc. Pick one that would advance your plot, and see how the OTHER characters would react too.

Is it a genre novel, like sci fi or western? (I know how you like the cowboys.) Non-fiction?

7. some of the greatest writers hit a block for a length of time. the first thing you need to stop doing is: stop worrying about it. i know that sounds easy for me to say. however, the more you chew on the problem, the worse it gets. like for insomnia, you can't lay and keep thinking about sleep. you have to wait it out and go on. if you obssess, you go crazy. try to start something else with another idea. or, you can give us a kind of round about info on it and maybe we can even jog your thought process. don't know if this helps. sorry if it doesn't.
    good luck hon:( :)

8. I wish I could help you Woodchuck. At the moment, I can't even think of anything to add to the bad pun thread, and that's sad! :(

The more you try, the more it will elude you. Relax.

Good Luck.

Mike

9. Throw in a penguin. Penguins are inheritly funny.

Rock on
    Eric:bassist:

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Penguins, adorable kids, cowboys, you guys are hilarious!
    BTW, it's fiction.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i'm at about 115,000 words in my novel (fantasy novel about a sentient tiger-like creature who's purpose is to destroy the world). i guess it was one of the benefits of the subject matter, but whenever i got to a block, i would just toss in some righteous bloodletting.

it was almost a formula for me, really. develop a character, make this character a total badass, and then spend 300-400 pages trying every which way i can to hurt, maim or kill that character. :D

12. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Sound like a nice guy John...:eek: cheers.

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    gotta keep it exciting. :D

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

A world-destroying kzin?

:confused:

:D

15. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I wrote a reply on this, got lost though somehow..:(

I have 2 guys that I think can really help you.
    One is a friend and classical guitar player who is publishing his first novel this week. The other is a professional author who lives in Florida who has helped him extensively with motivation and block. That guys name is Jack D. Hunter. [ The Blue Max ] Read what another writer said about Jack
    here.

My friend said the same thing about Jack, after a short time on the phone, they were old friends.

Those kind of experienced writers can help.
    PM me and I'll hook you up if you like.

OG

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You know what the solution is

:D

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    naw, kzin are inferior to humans, and a bit too "human" like, imo.

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That was a good way to waste my 2500th post ;)

at anyrate....seriously though. What is your Novel about? is it fiction? non-fiction? pirates? what's up?

maybe you just need to do some more research or something.

or just take a break, go to the bahamas get an eskimo pie and chill out.

I've never written more than 15 pages or so in short story fiction.

I have a friend who is working on a novel, she is maybe 400 pages into
    it, she's been working on it cumpulsively since she was a freshman.
    She goes through months when she is absolutely stuck...but then sometimes she just writes all night and is flowing with ideas.

Try something new, if you normally write in your home, try writing on the beach or something. Maybe you can use something that just happened in your life as a metaphor to a point you are trying to make.

but yes, wacky dream sequences are always good solutions ;)

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    e tu, Brute? Though, I tend to create a character, make him either a badass or a hopeless mental case (sometimes both) and then create a world for him to inhabit.

I'm a writer myself...it's the only thing in this world I can do right. Regardless of how much I love bass, I'm just not really gifted in music at all. Writing, on the other hand, is my "Gift." Whatever "It" is, I have it.

I've written more than who knows how many short stories and novellas, and I continually have a novel or two on the back burners (been in development for quite a time). However, I tend to think in a very visual medium, so I'm actually working with a few people on some comic series, due the incredibly visual nature of my thoughts. Not that I can't sit down down and write a story to beat the band... I just think with pictures and am terminally unable to draw it myself.

My best friend is attending Portlant Art Institute, so I should have access to a bunch of artists; with any luck, I'll be writing between 2-4 comics here inside of two years time, along with any other projects I do for myself. Well, less comics than graphic worlds and stories.

20. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I've never really written liturature, but I've had much the same scenario when composing music. There's been times i'd get 3 minute sinto a song, have everything flowing, and just hit a wall. It's a little easier with music, becaue if I get stuck, i'll just work on another song, or just go do something else. Eventually, I'll think of a riff, or a drum beat, or something will inspire me of what to do. Just give it time, noddle around with possible ideas, and expand on the ideas. Eventually something should click.