Frying B2000?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thorper, Apr 3, 2017.

1. thorper

thorper

Jul 11, 2011
    So I have had 2 Carvin B2000s spark out and die on me.
    Carvin has been very kind about replacements -- I'm not here to smear them.

Inside the amp it looks like a part labelled "TR1" located near the power cord is what blew.
    So with this being the case it would seem like a problem with the electricity coming into the amp.

I've heard conflicting opinions on talkbass about power conditioners but could one be a solution in this case? Or even just a good surge protector?

Meanwhile most Furman conditioners seem to be labelled "1800W MAX" so would plugging a 2000W amp into one of these be a bad idea?

Attached Files:

• TR1.jpg
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
  2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    2000 watt output rating is not 2000 watts power consumption, look for a VA value on the back of the amp near the power input.

Unless there is a design flaw I would not assume power issues are what fried your amps.

agedhorse likes this.
  3. thorper

thorper

Jul 11, 2011
    Has anyone else experienced their B2000 sparking out and dying?

4. Power conditioners don't fix problems related to improperly wired outlets.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Power conditioners are in actuality a glorified, expensive power bar. Don’t waste your hard earned money!

Give Carvin a call and discuss this issue with them. You could also ask them for a copy of the schematic. That device is part of the switching power supply. If you have had several failures that should be something that Carvin should address. None of my Class D/SMPS units have given me such a problem.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    agedhorse and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022