1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: '01 Fender Hot Rod P bass w/HSC

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ric426, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    2001 Fender Hot Rod Precision bass, J pickup, passive V/V/T, Sunset Orange finish, tortoiseshell pickguard, 1 5/8" nut width, nice dark rosewood fretboard, 9lbs 12oz.

It's in great shape for a 12 year old bass. There are a few nicks and dings on the body and some surface scratches on the finish and pickguard, but nothing that goes through the finish and they're light enough that I wasn't able to capture them with my cheap camera. There are a couple dings in the finish on the back of the neck that are shown in the photos. You can feel them if you look for them, but I've never noticed them when playing. There are also some nicks on the end of the peghead, but nothing out of the ordinary and certainly nothing that would affect anything more than the appearance.

I've been lusting after an old school early sixties style alder/sunburst/tortoiseshell/rosewood P bass and this one hasn't been getting enough play time, so it's time for a change.

I'm asking [DEL]$850[/DEL] [DEL]$825[/DEL] [DEL]$800 shipped (US shipping only, AK & HI extra)[/DEL], $725 + actual shipping cost, payment by USPS Money Order preferred, other means considered.
    I'd really prefer a sale over a trade, but if you have something you think I might be interested in, feel free to make an offer. If it's something really special I could add a limited amount of cash.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. rigorous bass

rigorous bass Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Very cool! Keeping my eye on this one.

3. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Bump this beauty for a great TBer!

4. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Always been one of my dream basses but cant do the P bass neck profile. Bump for you.

5. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I've always preferred J bass necks myself, but I really don't notice that much difference with this neck. Switching between this and a J bass has never been an issue.

6. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

WOW great looking bass. 9.75 lbs seems heavy… how much do you think swapping out the tuners would help to make it lighter? Also, what kind of pups are on there?

Thanks in advance for the info!

7. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Yeah, it's got some heft, but it doesn't feel as heavy as it sounds. I was surprised when I weighed it that it was that much. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at how many basses are in that range or heavier. To be honest I don't know that you'd knock all that much weight off of it by going to different tuners. Maybe 1/4 lb. or so would be my guess.
    The pickups are the stock Hot Rod set which, from what I've read, have a slightly over wound J pickup so it matches the output of the P pickup better. You can get a pretty good range of tones from it. Edgy P bass to vintage woof to J bass bridge bark. I'm just lusting for a classic alder/tort/rosewood P bass. I guess I'm getting more old school in my old age... ;)

8. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Bump for final price drop before I bite the bullet and trade it in.

9. iownit4

iownit4

Dec 7, 2011
    nyc
    Would you trade for a guitar . Les Paul studio

10. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    PM'd

11. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Thanks for the offer, but I don't need a guitar at this point.

12. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Bump

13. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Free bump from a fellow Hot Rod player. LOVE these basses, fit and finish is comparable to any boo- teeky brand. More growl than a two ton tiger...

...s'cuse me while I go check the couch cushions....

14. Ric,

I'll take it for 725. I'm retiring my 66 Jazz & need a replacement for it. Please contact me & lets talk logistics.

Thanks
    David in SC

15. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Thanks for buying this. I can't stop thinking of ways to hide a purchase from my wife.

16. No problem, glad to help. I'm getting around it by telling her my 66 is too valuable to gig in bars with. When I told her what is worth she said "THAT guitar!!! Is worth how much?" Tee hee

17. Guygrooves

Guygrooves Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Clearwater Florida
    Yes Thank you for buying this...I was going to offer 7 and pray hed take it and the girl wouldn't kill me for buying another. =P
    I LOVE P-J's......

18. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Sold

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.