Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS: '01 Rickenbacker 4003 JG in Vancouver, BC

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by feckn_eejit, May 23, 2004.

1. NOTE: Pictures will be down for a couple of days until I get the server back up and running.

-------------------------------------------

This poor beauty sits in the corner while the Fender gets played, so I should probably offload it to someone who will properly enjoy it.

S/N indicates 17th week of 2001 manufacture.

I spent $1800 CDN (plus tax!) in March 2002. Bass was purchased from Wayne at Long & McQuade on Granville st. in Vancouver. Original reciept is kicking around *somewhere*, I think...

The bass has only left my home to go to a recording studio, and the very occasional jam session.

This Ric seems heavier than most - the neck is really quite thick - certainly the largest I've ever played on a Ric. Because of the weight, this doesn't sound as trebley as a typical Ric. It has a lot of balls, however. Plenty of low end, ridiculous sustain. Sounds much better with a pick than fingerstyle - though played with fingernails sounds even better!

The engineer at the recording studio I frequented typically HATES Rickenbackers, but liked this one, since the low end shook the studio through a SansAmp and the near-feild monitors.

Cosmetics? From 1' away, this bass looks great. Examine closely, however, and you'll see faint, faint swirl marks in the black finish, especially on the back of the bass. There is no belt rash. As far as dings go, I bopped it into the corner of a wooden table once, a few inches above the treble pickup as viewed when you're holding the bass. This is really quite small, and did not go through the finish, thanks to Rickenbacker's excellent multi-layer finish. There are two minor scuffs on the end of the headstock, from brushing a very low stucco ceiling. These didn't go through all the finish either, merely the finish doesn't look "glossy" on those parts. Fret wear is existent but minimal - I did use Rotosound strings on the bass most of the time, so three is wear - but nothing I can catch my fingernail in, and nothing that makes the fret look uneven when viewed from the side. I consider the fretwear cosmetic as it does not affect play. I will endavour to provide detail shots of these minor blemishes next week.

Comes with the basic SKB-designed Rickenbacker case, which is in good condition, save some scuff marks around the edges. It did its job and took the damage rather than the bass when I was transporting it!

Now for the bad part - the price. It won't be easy for me to part with it for much less than $1250 CDN (~$910 US funds). If this is truely, honestly unfair, please let me know. I have based this price on what a typical Ric 4003 auction seems to end at, also, every time I have seen a used Ric for sale at a guitar shop, this has been the approximate price. If I'm totally out of my gourd, feel free to make offers.

If this does generate any interest, I'd be happy to post sound clips, though I'd really need a fresh set of strings since the ones on it sound horrific!

Bottom line is I'm really only about 85% sure I want to be rid of it. I could use the $$$ (various other toys I'm lusting after, but ultimately I'd like to score a blueburst Czechtor 5 string neck-through) but I'm not desperate, so if anybody's interested, post here, or PM; I'll check back.

TRADES: I am not interested, *unless* you have a *minty fresh* (preferably blueburst, but black or red of some sort would do) Czechtor 5-string neck through with all ACTIVE electronics! Of course such a beast would be more valuable than my Rick, so there would be some $$$ involved too...

Thank you muchly!

--jeff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I would love to hear some sound clips

3. Here's a HORRENDOUSLY BAD AND SHAMEFUL take on Chris Squire's "The Fish"

fish.mp3

And a horrendously bad take on the opening of Geddy Lee's "My Favourite Headache"

mfh.mp3

I'll get some new strings and post some more suitable stuff next week if there is sufficent *serious* interest in the bass.

--jeff

4. bump
    103 views, one reply...

5. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Beautiful man-- I just can't afford it right now (read my wife won't let me buy any bass gear for while). :(

6. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    This is a very nice bass but I only 700.00 to spend so...

7. If I had the cash to spend, I would buy it in a heart beat.

(wants a ric)

(wants a p-bass, j-bass, stingray(got it covered), ric, high end something in his arsenol.)

8. Metallideth

Metallideth

Feb 19, 2004
    man i wish i could do something to get this bass....i would be persuaded to kill ya know ;)

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Don't be a feckn eejit - don't sell it! You'll be sorry!

10. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    less you want payments, i cant help ya there bud!

Cheers
    PB

11. I know, I know... okay, convince me otherwise! :p

I absolutely adore the look of the bass, and I like the feel. Thing is, I haven't really played it much in the last three-four months, and I play my Fender all the time. I will really miss the looks, however.

--jeff

12. Metallideth

Metallideth

Feb 19, 2004
    well i could take it off your hands for a few months? :D

ah in my dreams.

Someone take this deal, its a bargain for an incredible bass, this needs a good home!

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I wouldn't make a decision based on a few months of experience. Wait at least a year, then revisit the issue. I'll bet you have swung back to playing it at least part time by then - if not, then consider selling.

Remember, life is a big cycle... interests come and go. If you liked it enough to buy it once, you'll probably want it again.

14. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a 1983 Fender Pbass Elite II if you are interested in trading for it

15. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Holy Mackerel, Feck!!

I can't believe you're selling the Ric. You positively LOVED that thing! I remember when you first bought it and posted several messages about it.

Oh, well. People change, there's nothing wrong with that. Hopefully that 4-stringed gem will go to a good home.

16. What can I say? I mean, part of me still does love it, but it gets played less than 5% of my playing time, I guess I just think it needs to be properly enjoyed.

--jeff

17. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Nobody's into a cool Ric?