1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: 1 of 2 lightweight US G&L SB2s

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by craigb, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Hey Y'all,

I somehow seem to have ended up with one more US SB2 than I need (of course buying that US JB2 yesterday may have had something to do with that ;)).

Both are good, both are nice and I can't decide which I'd rather keep so this is an either-or thing. I'll sell one and keep the other, and let the market decide which stays and which goes.

#1 is the lightest G&L I've had at 8.0 lbs. It's lake placid blue with a rosewood fretboard. I've had it a little longer and it's had my stacked pot modification where the front controls are now stacked master-vol/j-pickup-vol with a rear tone. There are some small dents in the body, nothing through the finish. It looks really nice, I've gotten great comments on the sparkly blueness of it.

#2 is still pretty lightweight at 8.4 lbs. It's sparkle black metallic which is a metallic black (not big flakes or anything, but different from the usual flat black). Again a rosewood board. I noticed one small ding that actually is through the finish on the back edge of the body and a little scuffing (maybe that will rub out?) on the bottom side of the body (bottom side as you are wearing it).

Both have 1.5" nut width and 3-bolt necks that make me believe they are probably #6 necks with 7.5" fretboard radius. I'll ship in a nice Fender gig bag.

International deals can work for me. I have a few requirements for those: prepay in USDollars via paypal, ship via USPS priority international connecting with your postal service, no fudging values on customs forms. PM me for how much extra shipping is to your country.

$745 shipped in the contigous 48, paypal is great

I really shouldn't do any trades but if someone wanted to swap a Rumblefish 4 for one straight up I don't think I could turn that down ;)

Attached Files:

2. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Nice basses. I have an LPB just like that one (minus the tone mod). About that weight too. It's a keeper.

Just FYI, unless these were special orders it's more likely they've got the #8 neck (12" radius). That's standard on these models, though of course they can be special ordered with any available neck option (excepting 5 strings).

3. craigb

Actually #8 necks are only standard on more recent SB2s. G&L made a switchover from having the standard necks be #5 and #6 (with 7.5" fretboard radius) to #7 and #8 (with the more modern 12" radius) sometime after 2000. I'm not sure of the exact date but I know the L2K I ordered new back in 2000 had a #5 neck standard so it's after 2000.

That's why I believe that these with 3-bolt necks are #6s - that was the standard SB2 neck during the 3-bolt era. Without taking them apart there's no way to know for sure.

They are great basses (even the 10.5lb one I had a long time ago - although my back aches just thinking about that one)

4. It's a good thing neither of those have a maple fretboard, otherwise I'd be in trouble!

That's a great price on some awesome basses!

5. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    Those are beautiful! Especially that blue one! If I hadn't just bought Quadzilla's L2000 I would pick it up....

6. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Huh. I could have sworn that the #8 was standard when I was researching them before I picked up my first one in the mid-90s, but you may be right (although I know for a fact mine is a 12" radius).

Actually, a radius gauge will tell you what's up. And, conveniently enough, you can download one in PDF here (if you really care):

http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/Images/Pickguardian Neck Radius Gauges.pdf

Just make sure you print the PDF at 100% (and cut along the lines carefully, obviously).

Not trying to make a big deal about the radius. Matters to some people and not so much to others (it's never really been a deal breaker for me). Really, just another bump for a couple of sweet looking SB-2s. One of my favorite models ever, G&L or otherwise. Personally, I'm kind of partial to the black one, but that's probably just because I already have an LPB.

7. craigb

You're right about the radius gauge. I've never had luck with the printed radius gauges (my lack of precision on cutting them out) and don't care enough to do anything more. Like you, either a #6 or #8 is OK by me, although the ones I've liked best were #6s.

I know for sure that #5 & #6 were standard when I started getting into G&Ls around '99-'00 and ordered an L2K. I know I was bummed when the SB2 & ASAT standard neck switched to a #8 as I'm more of a #6 fan. But to be honest I can't say with any authority what was standard before then. I always thought it was the 7.5" radius necks but maybe they moved to the 12" radius ones for a while? G&L has a habit of changing their specs when it suits them without regard to keeping us fans informed :D

Oh well, they are both 1.5" wide at the nut and comfortable IMO. My favorite necks and basses.

8. craigb

*** ON HOLD *** deal pending

9. craigb

*** SOLD ***

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.