1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: 1 Player, 1 Gem - Fender Cowpoke, Roscoe Beck IV

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by slap2much, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slap2much

slap2much Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    ONLY THE ROSCOE BECK IV REMAINS --READ ON FOR DETAILS.

Still for sale is the most versatile, easiest playing and generally best thought out passive bass I've ever owned. In excellent condition with case and accessories to boot. Price is firm, PayPal or MO/certified funds. Shipping is from 60660 and will be FedEx residential or ground, use the calculator from the FedEx website for an estimate. I will ship internationally to those with a good TB buyer history and can detach the neck from the body to keep within postal size limits. Additional shipping/customs costs are the buyer's responsibility.

Here's my Fender Roscoe Beck IV, excellent condition with case and all the accessories and such...I even have the ramp (never installed, plastic still on). Alder/Maple, gold-anodized look pg installed (original cream included). Neck is 1 1/2 inches Jazz width and asymmetrical for easy & fast play. Weight is 9 pounds even. Two passive humbucking pickups, each with series/single/parallel switching, 3-way neck/both/bridge switch to mix them, push/pull on master volume to bump the bridge pickup's output a bit (relative to the neck) in single-coil mode. Master tone also. Tremendously versatile, great player, also takes well to outboard preamps. $1200 + shipping and totally worth it.

rbeck1.

rbeck2.

rbeck3.

rbeck4.

<moved to bottom of post>

Player #1 is a Cortez Precision, probably seventies, Matsumoku made in all likelihood. When I received it the electronics were not working. I've installed the new CTS pots that were supplied by the former owner, added a decent capacitor to the tone pot and now everything works well. The truss rod nut turns both ways, I put a little petroleum jelly on the thread and it moves well with the right amount of resistance whether tightening or loosening. I've adjusted the action to medium-low with no buzzes or rattling, I imagine with a fret crowning/leveling you could go lower still. I think the body is ash, maple fingerboard, pickguard(s) are secure and the pickup is a very 70s 'P' tonally, around 9.93 ohms on the mulitmeter. Price on this one is $175 + shipping. - SOLD.

Player #2 is a Fender 'Cowpoke' Precision Deluxe from the mid-nineties. Black/Black and rosewood 22 fret board. 9V active tone circuit, pickups & electronics appear to be original. Body is in pretty good shape, neck looks decent. Headstock has a (repaired) crack and tuners look like they've been replaced (edit: saw another Cowpoke with what appear to be the original tuners, they are identical to these -- 'Licensed by Schaller' stamped on them). Stack knobs, top ones were swapped for chrome (I guess to look more like a '62 Jazz). Nice EQ points for the active tone system, and much quieter than my all-passive PJ. Controls are Vol/Blend for one knob, Low/High boost & cut for the other. Not close to mint, definite wear and tear but everything works well (truss rod, preamp, etc.). Weighs a svelte 8.2 pounds, neck width just a hair under 1 5/8 inches. $250 plus shipping. BODY AND NECK BOTH SOLD.

2. Weight on the Roscoe Beck?

3. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    So what's the sound and playability like on the Cortez?

4. panzerjp

panzerjp

Dec 28, 2008
    Free Bump for an amazing Roscoe Beck...Man, that´s a real beauty!!!! :bassist:

5. Yes it is gorgeous, but too heavy for me. :( Bump for some great basses though! :)

6. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    i've always wanted a roscoe beck...but it really needs to be a 5 string.

free bump for you!

7. DHowardAir

DHowardAir

Apr 26, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Bump on the Roscoe Beck 4. Bravo!

8. rbeck47

rbeck47 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    PM sent.

9. EMahoney

EMahoney Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2005
    Southern California
    PM'd you

10. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Mulling a few trade offers but (like almost everyone else) would prefer an outright sale. Indecision bump.

11. tommyr01

tommyr01 Simma Down Nah ! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    Will someone get the friggin Cowpoke already !
    I love mine! they are great Fenders and this is a great price.
    I can't stand seeing it for sale....it's killing me. Someone get it before I do something stupid and get yelled at by the wife....
    just my .02.....and a bump :p

12. PM sent :)

13. Interested in a trade for a Fender Deluxe American Precision 5-string in mint condition ?

14. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Interestingly I have gotten several offers for Precision Deluxes in one form or another. The Precision neck is not really my thing and neither are fivers so I gotta pass. I played a Sadowsky P and with the jazz-type neck it worked a lot better for me. (EDIT: Anybody with a Sadowsky Metro PJ hybrid interested in this? If so let's talk.)

Also I noticed Musician's Friend now has the USA P-Deluxe new (the 4-string) for $1400 while the RB IV is still running a little over two grand ($2059.99 to be exact):

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...rican-Deluxe-Precision-Bass-Guitar?sku=511390

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Roscoe-Beck-IV-4String-Bass?sku=517880

I think they are comparable in terms of build quality and so forth, but that's what the market will bear I guess. Not so long ago the RB was around $1600-$1700 and the P and J Deluxes were only a couple hundred shy of that.

Thanks anyway though, and here's a bump for what now seems like a fantastic deal as opposed to just a fair one.

15. Regarding the cowpoke: sending pm...

16. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Too-lazy-to-make-a-whole-new-listing bump...as the edited top post says, only the RB IV still here for sale.

17. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Random (and very specific) trade request -- looking for a Suhr Classic J, ash/maple, with a vintage radius neck and 70s bridge pickup position. Cash price still in effect.

18. Bump for a great bass.

My RB IV is killer and guess what folks....now discontinued by Fender.

Do I smell collectors item???

19. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Correct, it appears Fender won't be making these anymore. I suppose they might become collectible down the road -- right now it's still a great bass for a lot less money than buying new. Thanks for the input!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.