1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: 1933 Herald Jaeger bass--now you can sound like Edgar Meyer!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by kittyboy, Oct 3, 2013.

1. kittyboy

kittyboy Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Before he had super-expensive old Italian Basses, Edgar Meyer had a 1933 Herald Jaeger--and he still has it!

Bill Merchant (great luthier in NYC) told me he thinks these are superior to Juzeks and more likely to appreciate as well. He thinks they'll be worth $15K down the road.

Here's an older TB thread with lots of info on Jaegers:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f1/info-bass-maker-wanted-65827/

I have five basses and am keeping one--this was the one I'd planned to keep. Not because it's the very best of the 5, but because it commands the lowest market value relative to how nice it is, and because it plays so easily and sounds very good for $11K.

I bought it from the grandson of a man who played in dance bands in Portland from the 1940s until the late 80s. It was very clean when I got it, but the fingerboard was thin so I had a new one installed. I also had a new bridge cut, and a new tail wire put on. (All done after my photos were taken. The bass looks the same).

Like I said, I planned to keep this one and generate cash by selling my french bass cheaply at $20K, but it's hard to sell expensive basses on TB these days. At $11K/bo I'm thinking the Jaeger will be within more people's budgets, and I'm sure that there are people looking for basses with good sound/volume that are easy to play, like this one is with it's slightly smallish body and skinny-but-not-too-skinny neck. (Luthiers love this bass by the way--I've opened the bag in a couple shops and the luthier got atypically excited and was like "oh, there's a pretty bass".)

Top length 42", Upper bout width 20 5/8", Middle bout width 15", Lower bout width 25", Depth at tail 9", Depth at upper bout bend 7 1/2", Depth at neck 7", String length 41 3/4"

It's got some scratches and wear marks in the finish, but has surprisingly few older cracks. What few cracks there are have been professionally repaired. It's a very healthy bass, easy to carry, amplifies well with Realist or FC.

Price is $11K/bo. Happy to show it in Seattle. Willing to deliver anywhere between Seattle and SF, but not for audition.

Open to partial trade, but the bulk will need to be in cash. Trade-wise I like guitars and amps and basses and mics...but please remember that the bulk of your offer has to be cash. All-cash offers preferred.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. kittyboy

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    more photos

Attached Files:

3. kittyboy

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    couple more

Attached Files:

4. kittyboy

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    and

Attached Files:

5. kittyboy

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Weekend bump. Easy-playing great-sounding Czech bass by a maker whose reputation is on the rise!

6. Will Yager

Will Yager Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    The Jaeger basses I have played have been very impressive. I may be a bit biased though.

7. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    :D

8. kittyboy

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Still available...

similar bass of same year just sold within 2 days here on TB!

9. kittyboy

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    still available...

would rather make someone a deal than put this on consignment