1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FS: 1968 Gibson EB-2d Cherry with Curtis Novak custom pup

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by dangorange, Mar 16, 2013.

1. dangorange

dangorange

Mar 25, 2009
    Boston
    *SOLD*

I thought I'd put this beauty up here first as I'd rather not have to go the ebay route, so here goes...

This is a gorgeous example of the Gibson EB-2d hollowbody, other than some typical nicks, the finish and binding are in excellent condition, no breaks anywhere. This is the rarer 2 pickup version too! The bass plays like a dream, neck is straight, action feels great, I tend to like it pretty low personally.

I bought this bass about a year or so ago, and instantly fell in love with it. Although I did find that even though it has the 2 pick ups, I still had trouble finding a sound that fit in with my band, I play a Fender Jazz through an Orange rig and have gotten used to that, this is a whole other sound! I recently bought a Curtis Novak pup to try for the neck position and it opened up the sound nicely. This one here: http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/EB-AA.shtml

I still have the original neck pickup, and as far as I know, other than obviously changing the pup, this is all original, including the case. I am not 100% of the knobs though, usually they are the black witch hats, but I've also seen the ones on my bass in some pictures, so maybe they are original. Also,behind the headstock, the original owner scratched in some number, but it's not very noticeable unless you hit it with the right light.

I was not anticipating thinking about selling this, I really don't want to. Something came up at this years NAAM that I want badly(synth content) and this could help fund that. I'm asking $2350 shipped in the CONUS. Any questions, ask away!

You can see lots of pictures here: http://s47.beta.photobucket.com/user/dangorange/library/Gibson%20EB-2

frontback_zps5ebc1dc3.

front05_zps74792609.

baritone_zps0d510d99.

case02_zpsd57a2a54.

2. Daveydude

Daveydude Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale FL
    Total sweetness bump...

I wish I was rich!

3. dangorange

dangorange

Mar 25, 2009
    Boston
    Thanks! I wish I was rich too, I wouldn't be trying to sell it then!

4. dangorange

dangorange

Mar 25, 2009
    Boston
    I also have a brand new set of Chromes for this bass, currently it has rounds on.

5. dangorange

dangorange

Mar 25, 2009
    Boston
    bump

6. dangorange

dangorange

Mar 25, 2009
    Boston
    Bit of a price drop and a bump!

7. dangorange

dangorange

Mar 25, 2009
    Boston
    Also willing to reinstall the original pickup if that's important to someone!

8. dangorange

dangorange

Mar 25, 2009
    Boston
    Sunday bumperoo

9. dangorange

dangorange

Mar 25, 2009
    Boston

10. MJT

MJT

Feb 24, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Gosh - if only I had such disposable coinage right now. Anyway, bump for a real beauty and that Curtis Novak humbucker (note: not mudbucker) - I'm sure it really sounds great!

11. dangorange

dangorange

Mar 25, 2009
    Boston
    Thanks, yes the Novak pickup sounds great, not as hot as the stock pickup. Since it's a hollow body, you still get that woody sound with it though!

12. dangorange

dangorange

Mar 25, 2009
    Boston
    bump!

13. dangorange

dangorange

Mar 25, 2009
    Boston
    it's really a lovely bass:bassist:

14. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    Looks gorgeous! I'd be all over this but I've got one already that could well be it's twin brother. Not many in this clean condition, let alone the Gibson logo in the pickguard...
    Best of luck with the sale.

15. dangorange

dangorange

Mar 25, 2009
    Boston
    Thanks! This bass is absolutely gorgeous, and a lot of fun to play! You don't always see the logo on the pickguard either, they must rub off easily or something.

16. MagnificentB

MagnificentB

Nov 5, 2012
    Bucks, PA
    Great bass! I had a single pup version for many years. It was not in this kind of condition, though it did still have the logo on the pickguard. I regret selling mine, but good luck...:crying: It's beautiful!

17. dangorange

dangorange

Mar 25, 2009
    Boston
    thanks for the comment! I'll miss it too when it's gone.

Don't be afraid to make an offer!

18. grumpyfunk

grumpyfunk

Mar 26, 2012
    Boston, Ma
    PM'ed

19. chromium

chromium

Jul 17, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    I can't stress how useful that extra bite is from the bridge pickup on these. The 2Ds are fairly scarce. I looked long and hard for mine, and probably paid too much for it at the time (got it from CME about ten years ago)... but I'd do it all over again - such a joy to play.

Great lookin' bass and photos - GLWTS!

20. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Is the Novak pickup less muddy than the original?