SOLD FS: 1973 Rickenbacker 4001 Jetglo

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Ron Plichta, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    This one is a tough one to sell, but the reality is I'm not playing as much electric bass as I used to and this was solely bought as a "collector" bass. I think it's time for someone else who appreciates fine basses to have this one.

I bought it in 2005 from Fretted Americana and it's spent most of its time stored in its case. It's an immaculate Jetglo, serial numbered ME 1631 (May '73). As all you Ric aficionados know, '73 was a transition year for the 4001. This one has many of the pre-transition features, such as checkered binding, split tailpiece, toaster pickup and wavy Grover tuners.

As far as I can tell (and several folks around me agree), the finish is original. The .0047 bridge pickup capacitor has been removed. It's fully-functional electronically, although I suspect the input jack may have a loose solder connection.

It comes with the correct-period case, which is in pretty rough shape. It's still functional, just nothing to look at.

My asking price is $4,000. I don't need any more gear, so I'm not accepting any trade offers. I would prefer to sell it locally to the Washington, DC area. I don't mind driving a short distance to meet a buyer, but I am hesitant to ship it.

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

015.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

2. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    Wow pretty much the holy grail of Ric's in my book. Right there folks and a reasonable asking price too.

3. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    Bump for a great guy to buy a Rickenbacker from!

4. TwoGearGeeks

TwoGearGeeks

Sep 25, 2009
    Seattle
    Great looking bass! Among the other desirable features, you have a cast aluminum "gap tooth" bridge, and full width (although not "crushed pearl") inlays.

5. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks for pointing those out. I forgot to mention the inlays.

From what I've read, Rickenbacker started transitioning to a "newer" style over the summer of '73 and changed the tuners, binding, inlays, etc. This one is probably close to the last of the pretransition era Rics, although one could argue that this one is a transition from the 60's era ones with the "horseshoe" pickup.

6. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm open to shipping if necessary, but will drive between Petersburg, VA and Philadelphia to meet a buyer.

7. Max

Max

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Wow. What a bass.

I saw some old film some time ago on how they made checkered binding. That in and of itself was a work of art.

8. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    That's the cleanest "old Ric" I've ever seen. Simply stunning. I don't play Rics but if I had the dough I'd buy this JUST to say I have it. Gorgeous. GLWTS.

9. Ricnroll

Ricnroll

Dec 30, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Bump, looks like it is in beatuful shape.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Droool!!!

11. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Pm'ed!

12. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    Back to the top.

13. BTW GLWTS: JG ROCKS: ALWAYS REMINDS ME OF THE EARLY BEATLES " TELL ME WHY"

IS THAT 4,000.00 IN YEN BY ANY CHANCE?

14. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    I could always make it Euros. ;-)

15. Wow, thats the prettiest rick I have seen in awhile.The finish is like a mirror

16. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    Well folks, thanks to some other potential deals I have going on and the realization that I'd probably kick myself in the butt in the future if I let this go, I'm pulling it off the market.

Thanks for all the kind comments. It's truly a remarkable bass.

17. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    I've decided to put this bass back on the market.

18. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    Sunday Morning Bump.

19. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    To the top.

20. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    Early March Bump

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.