FS: 1975 Memphis brand MIJ P-bass "lawsuit"

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Muddslide, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    This is a "Memphis"-branded Precision bass made in the Matsumoku factory in Japan in 1975. This bass comes with the original bridge and pickup covers as well as a decent hardshell case. Previous owner purchased this bass new in 1975.

I recently had the jack replaced and had it setup with new strings. It plays and sounds incredible. Even the guys at the shop where I had the work done were oohing and aahing about how well it played and how great it sounded.

From the mid-to-late 70s, there were 2 or 3 Japanese factories who turned out incredible copies of Fenders with excellent specs and very high quality. These instruments ended up with a number of "brands" affixed to the headstock including Greco, Tokai, Ibanez and Memphis. This particular bass also appeared under the Yamaha brand as their "Pulser Bass." Eventually these factories had to desist in making such close copies due to some lawsuits that occurred. Copies made this close to the "real thing" and of this level of quality were only made for about 4 years and are not terribly easy to find.

Aside from the jack I had replaced and the strap-lock system (which was installed by the previous owner) this P-bass is all-original. Just a great-sounding, great-playing instrument.

Included is a hardshell case. The case has seen better days, but it is fully functional. It's not pretty but it offers great protection.

I apologize for the pics. I'm obviously no professional photographer! Unfortunately the pics don't really allow you to see the beautiful grain of the wood on this bass. It looks as good as it sounds and feels. Beautiful.

Would prefer local (Portland, Oregon area) pickup, but will ship (buyer splits shipping costs.)

Asking $350. No trades. Sorry but I do not use PayPal. Would have to be done via Money Order.

Thanks for looking!

MemphisFront1.gif
    MemphisBack1.gif

2. bass_snake

bass_snake Inactive

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Looks really nice. What's the weight?

Richie

3. ghiadub

ghiadub

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    Can you post a shot of the headstock?

4. idtandt

idtandt

Jan 25, 2012
    Nice Bass.
    Have a P-Bass from that era made in the Matsumoku factory badged Masada.They play like butter.

5. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Pic of headstock as requested, and a couple more...
    MemphisHead1.gif
    MemphisFront2.gif
    Memphis70s.gif

Apologies that these photos are no better than the initial ones...some are so yellowed-looking you'd think they were taken in 1975!

Also--not sure of the weight. I'll try to figure a way to weigh it. It's not overly heavy though. Feels great!

6. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Yes, this is a fine bass. Great player, great tone. I've been playing and owning P-basses for over 30 years. This is one of the better I've had my hands on.

Thanks for looking everyone!

7. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Weight and width at nut please

8. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Jim-- I will measure the nut and try to get it weighed today. I have no scale so will have to take it to the post office or some place. Thanks for your interest.

9. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Okay...

The bass weighs in at 8lbs., 11oz.

Nut is just under 1.75"

Thanks again for looking!

10. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Bump for this as I own a 1972 Memphis Jazz (Fender) copy and it has tone and playability for days!

11. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Thanks! One of my favorite bass players, David Wm. Sims from Scratch Acid, Jesus Lizard and some other projects, uses a 70s Memphis Jazz bass from the Matsumoku factory as his main bass. He kept his all stock aside from swapping out the bridge at one point.

These are every bit on par with regards to quality as Tokais, Grecos, etc. from the same period.

Happy weekend, everyone.

12. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    boomp

13. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    SOLD.

I'm already missing this one... :(

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021