1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: 1981 Music Man Sabre

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by desmodromic, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $1700

Bridge serial number is C006144 which puts it somewhere around 1981. Edit: See posts below which indicate this is probably a 1982.

Maple neck with a 3-bolt plate and micro-tilt. The neck is straight, and the instrument is very alive and has a lot of sustain. Covered pickups with non-exposed pole pieces. Bathroom scale says it is close to 10lbs.

The body has surface scratches and a few minor dings along the top and bottom edges. The neck has two dings on the back that have been filled, and a number of spots along the fretboard where the finish has chipped and flaked off.

I currently don't have a case for this bass, and given that it is less than mint condition I'm looking for an in-person sale. I'm in Philadelphia, and can meet a buyer a reasonable halfway distance if they are serious.

8362919416_e0c97a876a_b.jpg
    8362915732_83d535cd55_b.jpg
    8362916048_31aa10b673_b.jpg
    8362916884_7a331ed2dd_b.jpg
    8361854141_181327692f_b.jpg
    8361854859_0e36a801a1_b.jpg
    8361854331_490b18ee2d_b.jpg

2. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    What are the dates stamped on the neck and on the neck pocket?

3. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 11, 2005
    South Milwaukee , Wisconsin
    Gecko Leatherworks
    Had one in Candy Apple Red.
    GLWTS bump

4. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Beautiful bass, closed cover pickups and lever switch point more towards 1983 or later.

5. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I was going to say the same... It'd be interesting to see the neck stamp... From the decal, it looks like an older Pre EB neck attached to an EB Sabre body. Maybe one of the first ones made after EB took over and made their refinements to the electronics, yeah? Perhaps made during the transition. I don't think they started putting EB on the headstock until sometime in '85... Also, string tree is still in the Pre EB position, pointing to the neck being possibly from an older run...

6. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    The neck and battery plates and the bridge are correct for an earlier body, I think it's just an early version of the later model. MM went to closed covers and lever switch right around '83, well before the Ernie Ball buyout.

7. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    AAAhhh! So the new electronics configuration was something already in the works before the buyout... Cool. I did not know that. :bassist:

8. Pure beauty!

I have a '83 Sabre in white. One of my favorite basses!
    The only difference is that mine has a 4 bolt neck joint. The closed covers and lever switch were definitely available pre-EB.

9. I think this is the most beautiful example of this model I have ever seen.

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    "desmodromic"
    I presume you're a Ducati rider.

Wish I was local bump.

11. Hello, thanks for all the interest.

I took the neck off this morning, and this is what I found:

8363908805_2feb096844_b.jpg

The body stamp is 1980, and there is no neck stamp. The handwritten date appears to be 8-4-82. It actually looks more like a distinguishable '2' on camera than in person for whatever reason; there is a bit of rough grain under that area that kind of obscures the digit. Any further thoughts? I will change the advertised year if there is a consensus.

Cheers, and yes, a former Ducati rider ;)

12. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    82 is more reasonable...based on that pencil date.... :)

13. bassman28

bassman28 Bass Pluckers Owner Posting in Talkbass Bazaar Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 31, 2010
    North Carolina
    Basspluckers.com
    Its not unusual at all to have mixed part dates on these early MMs.They just grabbed parts out of the stack and put them together.That same thing with the early G & L's.There were actual G & L's that would have mixed hardware like a chrome bridge with a black control plate.And by the way the bass is beautiful.

14. Still seeking a local sale for this..

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I bump for Sabres.

16. Bump.

17. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    That thing's sharp.

Looks like it would fit inside a standard P-Bass case but can anyone confirm or deny that for sure?

18. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    Pm sent

19. How is this incredible beauty not sold?

20. MM Sabre is still for sale.

This bass is now available for shipping. Price includes a new Gator Deluxe case. Buyer pays shipping; US/Canada preferred.

$1700

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.