1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: 1982 Fender Jazz “20th Anniversary” ’62 Reissue – Fullerton Factory

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by JessRobinson, Oct 19, 2013.

1. JessRobinson

JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    PRICE DROP to $1800.

For sale is this very collectible Fender Jazz '62 reissue bass hand built at the legendary Fullerton factory in 1982 (in Leo Fender’s old workshop). The ’62 Jazz and the ’57 and ’62 Precision reissues built in 1982-1984 at the Fullerton shop are the first reissues ever produced by Fender, and are highly prized for their “pre-CBS” quality.

Everything on this bass is original with no mods.

A natural light relic, it’s gotten a lot of play including studio time. A dealer would consider it to be in very good to excellent condition. Some normal scratches/dings, some light belt rash, but nothing out of the ordinary from 31 years of careful use.

It’s a very early example of these basses. Neck stamp is: "3/20/82"; and body stamp is: "4/13/82"

Stacked knobs for volume and tone. Original pickups and pots.

The frets are original and in great condition. Rosewood fret board with clay dots.

Three-tone sunburst finish with red “pepperoni” tortoiseshell pick guard.

Classic thin Fender Jazz neck profile.

Weighs about 9.5 lbs.

Comes with a bridge cover with "F" logo and a neck pickup cover, both after-market.

Comes with a very good condition black Fender Deluxe Jazz hardshell case (2009?) with orange poodle plush interior.

More pictures are available upon request.

[DEL]$2200 [/DEL] $1800 plus shipping.

Attached Files:

2. JessRobinson

JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    A couple more pics...

Attached Files:

3. JessRobinson

JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    And a couple more...

Attached Files:

4. epoxyjazzbass

epoxyjazzbass

Oct 28, 2007
    Are you sure it' s a fullerton from 82 ?
    Perhaps I' m wrong but to me it looks like a late 80's/early 90's...

Do you have a picture of the entire back and one with the serial n° ? So it can be clarified

Sincerely

5. JessRobinson

JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Serial number on neck plate is V0602XX.

6. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    That would be more in line with an early 90's Corona bass. Fullerton era ended in late '84.

7. JessRobinson

JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Just to reiterate this is definitely a 1982 Fullerton '62 reissue, and early issue at that.

I have more pics that will show better details but I'm having trouble uploading the pics in the thumbnail format I'm limited to.

I will gladly email more pics to anyone who PMs me, and can take more photos as requested.

8. Sleepwalker42

Sleepwalker42 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Chicago
    I'm sure there are plenty of Fender expert around that would be able to determine the age just by serial #, which tells the story better than pictures. Maybe some of them will chip in.

9. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    quote from Fender site .. ;

1982 saw the introduction of the U.S. Vintage Series instruments and “V”-prefix serial numbers. The only way to definitively date U.S. instruments with “V”-prefix serial numbers is to remove the neck and check the butt end of the neck heel for a production date, which may be stamped or written there.

could post pic of pots/pickups date ...

beauty ..!! GLWS

10. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Date appears to be 1992, consistent with the serial number.

11. louiedi

louiedi Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Connecticut
  12. JessRobinson

JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    louiedi - The site that you direct us to says:

"The Fender serial number decoder currently supports all documented MIA, MIJ and MIM formats with the exception of Custom Shop, Relic and Reissue instruments. "

DavC - Thank you for the quote above from the Fender U.S. Products dating page, which can be found here: http://www.fender.com/support/articles/u-s-instruments-product-dating/

As noted earlier, the neck stamp reads 3/20/82.

13. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Actually, when you type that s/n in Louie's link, it indicates post-1987 Corona manufacture. after that, exact year uncertain. What are the pot codes? Not trying to be a ****buster. I've owned, repaired or handled and sold nearly two dozen reissues. The s/n indicates '92-ish.

14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    it should be written if it was an 82 reissue. looks like the 9 is just smudged

15. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    True, all the Fullertons I ever had here (more than 20) and all pics indicate handwritten neck dates. All Corona on the other hand, have been ink stamped.

16. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Unfortunately you cannot use the pot codes to date both the 80's fullerton and corona stack knob Jazz Basses, because they are all wearing 1982 stack pots. Fender bought enough stack pots in 1982 to last about 9 years.

17. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    To a degree! Lol I've had 90s basses apart that had early 90s stackers

18. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Interesting...yes, I thought up until at least 1983 they were handwriting. I've seen some 1984 with handwritten dates. That stamp looks like what I've seen on the 90's stuff.

19. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I've also had a few Fullerton RIs, and I agree with the others.. It doesn't look like an '82, but rather a '92 or so. A pic of the date stamp in the neck pocket would help, as well as a shot of the underside of the pickups.. if you want to properly date it. The P/U bobbin color can also help to identify a Fullerton (they can be red, black, grey, or a mix match). Most Fullerton RIs have a V00 ser. #, although I know they do go up into the V01s by '83/84. You can't accurately date the Fullertons from the ser. # alone, but V06 (the 60,000s) is not consistent with Fullertons (at least from what I have ever seen).

20. jmbstudios

jmbstudios

Dec 4, 2001
    South AZ
    I have a 1989 62 RI and the serial number is V04xxxx.

Sure is a pretty bass. I am looking for another one.