Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS: 1982 Fender JV Squire Jazz Bass !!!

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by rubo, Dec 8, 2004.

1. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    For sale very rare 1982 Fender JV Squire Jazz Bass. This is both a collector's & player's item. In super mint condition, non smoking studio use only. Weights only 9 lb, has the best looking wood grain you'll ever see on a Fender - very straight. Now for the best part, which of course is the neck. It's perfectly straight, and thin as hell, you'll never see such a slick feeling neck. Neck date is 10/6/82 & Neck plate serial is JV19007. For those of you who don't know about JV stuff, the Squire line was made from US parts, basically the same as the JV line, only the Squire was imported to other countries, and JV was sold only in Japan. For more info on these basses click here:

http://members.rogers.com/squierjvsite/jv_overview.html

For pictures click the links below.

http://tinypic.com/vc8pc

http://tinypic.com/vc8pw

http://tinypic.com/vc8qe

http://tinypic.com/vc8qt

http://tinypic.com/vc8rc

Asking $1700 US obo, will only trade for Jack Read's basses. Email fizmata@rogers.com for more details.

2. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Wow!! Why are you letting this go so cheap??

3. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Well I know for a fact that couple of these sold very quickly for $1500 US, and non were as nice as mine. Plus this is 82 - the first year they came out, so the quality control was very good. And lastly its an open market, so it depends how bad someone wants. I did add or best offer ;)

4. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Price drop $1500 US, before Ebay.

Cheers.

5. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    Buddy Lembeck saw the funny side.

How can you ask $1700 or even $1500 for a jv jazz even if it is an early one made in 1982. I don't even think US vintage reissues go for that.

A jv jazz with a very low 20000 number sold on the german ebay site for about $850 this week.

Is this some kind of a joke???????????

After all at best they are only basses assembled in Japan using US parts and the pups are'nt even vintage reissues, jsut whatever was sent from current US production.

Tell me you're joking - please.

6. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    JV were only made for two years, the USA reissue has been made for over 20 years. German Ebay is only for European buyers. Most of the Fender market is in North America. You do the math.

Cheers

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    ...but the prices on Fender basses in Europe are always much, much higher. But 1500 is just, well, too high even over here. :bag:

8. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    German ebay is available to ANYONE in the world just like US ebay is - i should know as i've bought 3 basses thru US ebay.

As we speak there is a red jv jazz on the uk ebay with a bin of about $850.

I am looking forward to seeing how your bass sells on US ebay - there is no way its gonna get near $1500.

Are you in the market to buy I have two jv precisions both in burst one 15xxx and the other 30xxx. To you my friend i could let them go for say $2500 the paid or $1350 each. Interested?

9. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX

man, i was thinking he was joking. I thought maybe 300-450. Now let me do the math for my black w-black blocks 72 jazz... american parts +last year 4 bolt neck+special color+"magic math kit" = 12 000 USD. :)

10. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    price drop $1250 US.

11. While I must admit my jaw hit the proverbial floor when I saw this bass listed (my hope for an affordable price was quickly dashed), let me remind my fellow TBers that chastising a seller for his asking price is against forum rules.

He's free to ask what he wants for the bass and we're free to accept his price, present a counter offer, or walk away. It's as simple as that.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    While its true you can ask whatever you want for an item, it doesn't mean someone is going to pay it.....

13. True, very true...

14. Tone Monster

Tone Monster

Dec 5, 2004
    i thought squiers were the cheap line of fender... :confused:

15. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    They are, but only those that were made after 1984 and in Korea.

Cheers

16. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Actually, Squiers were ALWAYS the cheap line from Fender, not just those after 1984. The fact that the earlier Squiers are now attracting a bit of attention of collectors doesn't change that fact.

17. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I thought the same thing until last Thursday.

I've been seeing this same "cheap" $99 Fender Squier Precision hanging on the wall among a bunch of others at a local pawn shop for a couple months now. It was busy in the store so I took a closer look at it to pass the time until it was my turn to be rung up.
    It's in great condition, the first thing that struck me was the long shafts on the tuners and the quality of the tuning mechanisms themselves. I was very impressed by quality of the 2 piece Ash body, the quality 3 tone Sunburst finish and the beautiful wood grain showing through. It has a rosewood fingerboard, a tight neck joint - which speaks volumes to me from a quality stand point. The "Made in Japan" on the headstock logo made it crystal clear as to why this was such a nice piece; Their quality is arguably second to none.
    Living in the Seattle I immediately called Mike Lull of Lull Guitars. I described what it was I was looking at and he said, "$99? If I were you I'd buy it in a heart beat". I did!!
    I got it home, set it up and plugged it in. I've never been a P-bass fan but I am now; The tone is AWESOME!!
    I took it to Mike Lull yesterday so he could give it a once over. Needless to say he was mighty impressed. He told me that it was produced in Japan between 1982 - 1984 and was most likely an '83. I was told that because this was a transition period for Fender (sold by CBS), the quality of the Japanese stuff in these few years was known to be as good or even better than that of the American stuff. Lull went on to tell me that the wood was shipped from America to Japan to be worked; The lumber was top notch!! I was told that the electronics (including the pickups) and hardware were Japanese, but the quality was there. I asked weather I should swap them, Mike said that unless I was after a different tone I shouldn’t bother.

Bottom line: The Squire line got a bad rap once they started being made in Indonesia, Korea and China, however stick with a 1982 - 1984 "Made in Japan" model ("SQXXXXX" stamped on the neck plate) and you indeed will have a professional level instrument.

Again, until a few days ago like many of us, I would cringe at the sight of a Squier. It's amazing what a bit of homework will do.

Thanks,

KT

18. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
  19. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    Rubo

Did the bass sell on Ebay?

20. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

KT,

I realise how good the early Squiers were and are, but the fact remains that, at all times, Squiers were meant to be a budget alternative to the "real" thing. The fact that the earliest ones were probably better than the instruments being produced in the USA is beside the point. Try and understand what I'm saying here - I'm not questioning how good they are, I'm just clarifying the marketing position that Fender has, and has always had, with their Squier range, which is in contrast to what Rubo has suggested above.