1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: 1986 G&L SB-1 3TSB / Maple -- Genuine "Rustic" Road Warrior ( GandL SB1 )

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Madcity Fats, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Reluctantly up for sale is my 1986 G&L SB-1 in a 3-tone burst over a maple body with a maple neck and fretboard. This was probably one of the last of the "prototypes" off the line and features a factory-stock Schaller PBX pickup in place of the split coil MFD which appeared in mid '86 (this one has neck & body dates of 3/27/86 and 4/1/86 respectively). The PBX is virtually identical to today's DiMarzio Model P and like the MFD features adjustable pole pieces and a huge output, but tends more toward a classic P sound with less of the aggressive "bite" of the G&L designed pickup.

More on the early model SB-1 can be found here: GGJaguar's Guitarium and Ampeteria 1985 G&L SB-1

Specs: Weight on this one is 9.2 lbs which is fairly light for one of these all-maple models. Nut width is 1 5/8". Neck profile feels like a nice vintage P "C" shape to my hand.

Condition: This bass has been played and played hard. When you get it in your hands and hear it, you'll know why. If you're looking for a closet queen, you can stop reading now. If you're looking for a true player, read on. Follow the link below to my Photobucket account for lots more pics. I tried to highlight the body wear as best I can because I personally don't like surprises. The neck is in good shape. A few scuffs and dings (note the pics highlighting a couple of finish dings on the back) but nothing that affects playability. Frets are fairly low but nice and level. I personally feel they lend to the overall playability of the instrument. The frets were dressed before I bought it and she's worn flats since I got it several years ago, so there's been no real fret wear under my care. Action is nice and low with no buzzing, even with rounds. Truss rod functions perfectly though the neck has been rock solid for all the years I've had it.

Full disclosure: This bass is not all original but is period correct. When I got it, it had an ill-fitting pearl guard on it and non-original knobs. I replaced the guard with a single-ply plastic one from Chandler, the company that makes the OEM guards for G&L, which is what it would have worn when it left the factory (the black crinkle metal ones appeared later along with the MFD pickup). There are a few extra holes under the pickguard made by a previous owner when the pearl guard was installed. The knobs are genuine G&L "radio" knobs I lucked out and scored on eBay. I replaced the jack with a Switchcraft.

Asking $625 shipped (CONUS) which is pretty much what I have into this. PayPal okay. She'll ship in a new Guardian brand gig bag I just bought for the purpose of shipping this (see pics in the link below). It's nothing special but is decently padded, gig worthy and will provide protection during shipping and beyond. Bass is currently wearing Chromes (flat wound gauge 45-65-80-100) but I'll gladly replace them with D'Addario rounds of the same gauge at the buyer's request. PM or email with questions. As much as I'd like to entertain trades, I can't because I recently learned I'm targeted for layoff. That's the only reason I'm selling this old friend.

Now on the pics. Below is just a taste. Lots more as promised here: GandL_SB-1 pictures by Madcity_Fats - Photobucket

CIMG5665.

CIMG5673.

2. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Bump for a hot bass with one of the best neck shapes ever made.

3. Rebmo

Rebmo

Aug 19, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Bump for a fabulous bass. I have a 85 with the Schallers and the bass sounds great. More of a warm sound than the MFDs but a tad bit hotter than the P-pups IME. Great necks and balance. I can understand why this one has the player proof on it.

4. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    El Presidente of Sanford and Sonny Audio Weapons (Bluebeard Fuzz)
    Arrrrgggg THIS is the perfect neck, body (color and wear) and price.....

5. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    errrr, sooooooo tempting

6. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    El Presidente of Sanford and Sonny Audio Weapons (Bluebeard Fuzz)
    Whomever buys this check with me one year from now if you want to sell it.

7. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    I doubt that will happen, I'll keep you in mind though :p

8. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Sold! Thanks, Reaper Man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.