SOLD FS: 1986 Pre-Gibson Tobias Sig.5 SN700

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by greenbass, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenbass

greenbass Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2004
    USA
    Rare Pre-Gibson Tobias Signature Series Zebrawood /Wenge Only one of it's kind. Serial # 700. 1986 20+ years and in immaculate condition. Bass has a 3-pin XLR input jack (built in D.I) Series/Parallel switches, Bartolini P/U's and Preamp. Zebrawood/ Wenge tone plate. 7 piece neck with Black Ebony fingerboard. No dings, dents or scratches and sounds Amazing!!! Bass is fat and punchy with great high end clarity. It was used on the Anita Baker "Rapture" album by Jimmy Haslip and was custom built for Bassland Bob (Bob Lee). The XLR jack was a custom option that Bob wanted on this particular bass. Included is the original HSC and 2 new custom cables in vintage tweed. Mike Tobias says that this particular bass was built without a High gloss finish..

Chris Squire...... http://s208.photobucket.com/player....76/dgroove/Yes-TobiasSN700.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

Article about early Tobias basses. Read last two paragraghs and also notice background bass headstock SN700. This is the bass that Jimmy Haslip was pleased with and eventually came on board with Tobias Basses thereafter.........http://www.bassland.net/tobyhist.html

$3500 shipped

2. greenbass

Jan 22, 2004
    USA
    Custom XLR Cables included

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I'm actually on a minor mission to find my old Tobias, SN #707 (IIRC - something very close to that), red quilted maple with black hardware.

I remember this bass from Mike's shop. Bob had it in the shop when I came in to order mine, and I played it and was just blown away by it. I remember wishing that I could afford a sig, and hoping that my Bassic would play as well (it came out pretty well BTW).

But Bob's bass (this one) just ROCKED. Played like a dream and sounded AMAZING.
    I wish I had the cash, I'd snap it up.

4. njjazzman2002

njjazzman2002 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2007
    New Jersey
    Bump for a fantastic bass and a great tb'er

5. greenbass

Jan 22, 2004
    USA
    Headstock

6. greenbass

Jan 22, 2004
    USA
    more pics

7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Bump for what is perhaps the nicest bass I have EVER played.
    Amazing, beautiful, ultimately playable instrument.

8. greenbass

Jan 22, 2004
    USA
    Thanks for the BUMP...I don't understand why it's hasn't sold yet :confused: This bass has some major mojo.

9. greenbass

Jan 22, 2004
    USA
    SOLD!!!! As the world sleeps da drive first strikes again.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.