Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS: 1989 Pre-Fender Kubiki Ex-Factor

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by pickles, Mar 8, 2005.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    A few years back I was doing a session and the producer pulled out his original Ex-Factor and handed it to me. The artist thought my Pedulla sounded too "Jazzy" :rolleyes: It had a hideous salmon finish, but we plugged it in through an Avalon Pre and started tracking ... the thing sounded so good I went on a quest to buy one.

I ended up buying a first one in seafoam green that was advertised as "pre fender", but when it arrived it felt nothing like the bass I'd played in the studio. I emailed Phil Kubiki and he told me that based on the serial number, that was a 1989 Fender made Kubiki. 1989 is the transition year. I sold it for what it was at a loss.

Then I found this one, confirmed that it was made in Phil's Santa Barbara shop. Its black, and it is a player, not a museum piece... this is just like the producer's bass. It has a great big, versitile sound, but it just doesn't get played very often and I've got some GAS bills to pay off. With the 32" scale and good fretwork, this thing plays lightning fast, and the preamp makes it sound absolutely huge for fingerstyle, pick, or slap ... it doesn't need any help from a colored amp to sound big.

Includes Original Hardshell case (missing one latch).

Looking for $1000 shipped in the lower 48, but make offers.

2. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    Oh jeez... I want it! I just got my taxes done last night, and I'm waiting the requisite day or two for the direct deposit to make it into my bank account. Would you mind waiting 24 hours (that and it gives me time to check with She Who Must Be Obeyed) so I can examine the financial situation on my end?

3. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've got one PM about the bass already, but no offers yet. My policy is generally that whoever commits to buying the bass first gets it.

4. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Thanks to everyone who has PM'd with interest. Confirms what a big mistake it probably is to sell this thing :scowl:

To be fair to everyone, I'm going to give priority by message recipt datestamps to the first person who says "I will take the Factor". To those who have requested additional pics, etc ... I'll send you all the same email so you have an equal chance of responding.

5. sleeplessknight

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    I WILL BUY THE BASS!!!! I just need to wait for my refund check to clear. I SWEAR UPON MY MOTHER'S GRAVE (even tho she's still alive) that I'll buy it, I just need for the check to clear. Will you PLEEEEEEEAAZE accept that? Check my ebay feedback (sleeplessknight42), ask around here or the Dudepit, I'm a stand-up guy and I follow through with my promises!

--Lee

6. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sounds like we've got a winner. I'll send you a PM.

7. sleeplessknight

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    I'm eagerly awaiting it! 8*)

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Really nice sounding basses... I just recently passed up a trade on a Factor played and signed by Stu Hamm on a tour of Aus with Mick Jagger and Vai for my Sterling... Wondering if it was the right thing to do...lol.

Congrats to whoever buys this bass, they are damn fine (I'm hunting around for a fretless, they sound sweet).

9. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    lemme know if that guvmint check bounces!!!

10. sleeplessknight

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    Hey Pickles, the check cleared today! I've got the MO already, and I just need to buy a stamp and stick 'er in the mailbox. I sent you a PM with the particulars.

Thanks again!

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sold!