1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: 2001 US Lakland Joe Osborn 5 #06 - Perfect!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by swpyne, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    I got this bass in a recent trade with JediBass here on TB. It's a stunning example of the kind of quality workmanship that has made Lakland the success story that they are today.

This is the sixth Joe Osborn 5 built by Dan Lakin back in 2001. The story I got was that this was hand picked by Dan for a friend and then sent to Michael Tobias for a little neck thinning front to back and nut width. It now has "Darryl Jones-like neck dimensions" so it plays really easy.

It's finished in a beautiful creamy vintage white accented with a tortoise guard. The board is very rich grained rosewood with the classic Lakland maple dot inlays. The pickups are passive Lindy Fralin controlled by a traditional V/T - V/T stack knob plate. It weighs in at 9.7 lbs and sports factory Dunlop straplock buttons.

For a vintage vibe passive 5 string it really doesn't get any better than this. It's a killer bass in almost mint condition. There are a couple of very minor dimple impressions on the body but if you didn't know they were there you would never notice them. There is absolutely no buckle rash or damage of any other kind. It's in much better condition than most basses that are sold as new.

The bass comes with a really cool vintage style hard shell case that compliments the bass perfectly. It was made by MBT cases and I'm guessing this is what Lakland provided with their US made basses prior to having their own cases built by G&G.

I just had a new nut installed and had the bass set up so it's in perfect playing condition and ready to lend itself to your own musical expressions. If you have ever wanted a US Joe Osborn 5 this is one you should seriously consider.

SOLD!

2. fergbassplayer

fergbassplayer Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    San Anselmo CA~
    :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

PM gone your way!

3. Seriously tempting

4. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Spencer,you're killing me ova-heeah!

5. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Yeah I know, it's a "really" nice one isn't it! Well like many of us these days I need a little more cash right now and could live with fewer basses. :rollno:

Sad I know.................

6. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Kinda makes me wonder what you're keeping Spencer.:eyebrow:

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    You have a pm..

8. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    once again i wish i was rich!

9. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Ha, yeah I hear you Tom. This JO5 is a really nice bass. No lie!!!

Right now my "go to" 5 strings are my active STR LS 549 and my passive Lakland 55-Dual J.

Whoever ends up with this bass will be very happy. It's a rare beauty for sure.

10. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    I believe I have replied to all the PMs I have received so far. Thanks to all for the offers and for the nice comments. Hopefully someone will step up with either some cash or the "right" trade idea in the next few days.

Keep those PMs coming. I'm all ears............... :D

11. fergbassplayer

fergbassplayer Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    San Anselmo CA~
    I cant believe that this is still here - what a Bass!

12. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Agreed, it's a very tough economy right now. All of us are suffering one way or another. I have never seen so many beautiful instruments for sale at such reasonable prices. It's a buyers market for sure!

13. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Spencer, you always have the prettiest toys ....... That is one incredible looking bass.

14. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Thanks Terry! It may have found a new home. I should know very shortly.

15. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    SOLD! pending receipt of PayPal E-check funds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.