1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: 2003 Fender Custom Shop Precision Bass, Featherweight Relic

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by smeltnet, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smeltnet

smeltnet

Dec 18, 2007
    For sale for $1900 plus shipping to US addresses: 2003 Fender Custom Shop 1959 Precision Bass in a relic blonde nitro finish over a grainy ash body together with a quartersawn maple neck. This bass weighs a few ounces less than 8 pounds! It's the lightest one I've ever played or owned. It's also got a punchy Fralin pickup, the same one that Mike Lull uses in his own basses. The neck is perfect: it plays cleanly everywhere with low action and has no dents, dings, or scratches on the back. And the truss-rod nut is virtually flush with the heel of the neck.

Here's the story on this bass: I bought it a few years ago from a fellow TBer. It originally had a blonde NOS (factory-new) finish, but had developed several long finish cracks. I loved the bass's playability and weight, but wasn't crazy about the new finish and the appearance of the cracks. I sent the bass to Gord Miller (GM Vintage Restorations in Victoria, British Columbia), a finish and restoration expert. Gord stripped the bass completely, refinished it in thin nitro lacquer, aged the finish, and aged the metal parts. Since I never expected to sell the bass, the Fender Custom Shop logo on the back of the peghead disappeared in the refinish. (To my knowledge, the body and neck remain imprinted with the word "relic," which the Custom Shop uses to distinguish its reproductions from genuine vintage instruments.) When I got the bass back from Gord Miller, I had Mike Lull install a Fralin pickup (the original ones are included in this sale) and set the bass up to play low.

In summary, this is a terrific reproduction. If you like very light basses that play very well too, this one might be for you. In retrospect, I should have asked Gord to leave the Custom Shop logo on the back of the peghead, but I thought I'd own this bass forever. Unemployment and my recent acquisition of a real '59 P have made me decide to sell this beauty. Believe me, it was a tough decision.

Photos to follow later today or tomorrow.

No trade offers, please. I need a cash sale.

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Here are Smeltnet's pics. These are extremely high-resolution pics, so, depending on your browser and its settings, you may need to click on each image separately (and possibly a second time) to get full detail.

GLWTS!

Craig

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. smeltnet

smeltnet

Dec 18, 2007
    My thanks to Craig for the photo help!

4. kylej7

kylej7

Jul 23, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    I quite like that relic job, it looks great!

5. smeltnet

smeltnet

Dec 18, 2007
    Thanks: I've had Gord Miller (GM Vintage Restorations) do three relic jobs and they've all been first-rate.

6. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Sweet baby Jesus.... Thats greater than great!

7. Hyper-sloth

Hyper-sloth Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    I have to second that! Sorry about the job loss, Good luck brother.

8. funk7856

funk7856 Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Atlanta
    WOW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.