1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: 2004 Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by mazareth, May 3, 2010.

1. 2004 Epiphone Elitist EB3 1961 reissue, color: cherry

Specs:

SG style body of bookmatched sapele

Set mahogany neck 30 ½” scale. The neck is stained to match the body with a gloss finish.
    Rosewood fretboard, 21 frets
    Gibson USA electronics and wiring
    1 large neck humbucker
    1 mini humbucker at the bridge
    2 tone, 2 volume controls

4 position Varitone pickup switch: position 1: neck humbucker, 2: bridge humbucker, 3: both pickups, 4: both pickups with frequency cut

Gotoh Japan tuners and bridge—period correct replicas of the original Gibson hardware

Bone nut

Epiphone’s ad copy: “The Elite series are instruments that approach custom shop perfection. They're made with premium woods, fitted with American pickups and circuitry -- even American-made toggle switches and Grover tuners. They are made at a special factory exclusively devoted to their manufacture where they receive a high degree of hands-on luthier attention. The EB-3 is a bass classic, made famous by Jack Bruce, with its SG-style body in bookmatched mahogany, a 30-1/2"-scale neck, a USA humbucker at the neck, and USA mini-humbucker at the bridge.”

This reissue was only made from 2003-2005. Short of buying a vintage 60s or 70s made EB3, this is the only currently available high quality version. Gibson does sell an “SG bass.” However, the SG bass has simplified controls: no Varitone, 2 volume and 1 tone control.

When I purchased the bass, the original case wasn’t available. The bass will be well packed and ship in a padded gigbag.

The price is $700 + actual shipping and insurance, which should be around $60 for the CONUS. I’ll accept cashier's checks, money orders or paypal.

Issues:

2 small dings on the lower bout--from a stand?
    small tarnished area on neck humbucker where I rest my thumb
    1 very small ding on headstock
    very light strap swirl around neck strap button

I love this bass but it needs to be played. I own a Birdsong Skyrider, which is now my main gigging bass. Please see the photos below. Link to full size photos: http://tinyurl.com/2unws58

23rlh05.

2iql5lj.

Location of headstock ding:
    efifzo.
    Lower bout dings:
    2nhezc9.
    Location of strap swirls:
    fm6r7q.

This my first sale thread on Talkbass. I post under "mazareth" on the Larrivee, Tacoma and T60 Mafia fora. I have done several trades and sales with satisfaction on both ends of the transaction. My goal is to over-describe any flaws I know of. I want any buyer to be pleasantly surprised.

I'm now open to the right trade. $700 is the trade value I'm going with. I would be interested in the following:

A tube head suitable for for small to medium club gigs (line out a plus).
    A compact head/cab combo like the Ibanez Promethian.
    A short scale bass of comparable value: a Hagstrom Swede, Kay Pro Bass reissue (especially the 'burst or Blonde)

Mark from Wisconsin

2. Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

Oct 10, 2005
    Townsend, MA
    Too bad you're not looking for trades, good luck with the sale!

3. Thanks Scott. Trades are tempting, but I really need the cash.

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Those Epi Elites are the real deal. Free bump.

5. Thanks GE. I love the sound and quality of this bass. It's just not getting the attention it needs with a Birdsong in the house!

6. Sometimes you have to go with the flow. Lots more trade interest in this bass. So...

Based on a $700 trade value, I'm interested in the following, with a preference towards "ampage."

• A tube head suitable for for small to medium club gigs (line out a plus).
    • A compact head/cab combo like the Ibanez Promethian.
    • A short scale bass of comparable value: a Hagstrom Swede, Kay Pro Bass reissue (especially the 'burst or Blonde).

Happy Sunday!

7. Bump for a gray rainy weekend! Wasn't online much lately.

PMs replied to...

8. rdwoody1

rdwoody1

Aug 23, 2009
    Jackson, TN
    I need this so bad! I wish you had this up a few months ago. I looked everywhere for one of these things. I even had a wanted ad on here. I've since spent all my money on other things. Bump for a fantastic bass.

9. Bump for a sunny Sunday.

10. Monday bump.

11. Sad to see her go! Thanks to all who PMed with offers.