1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: 24v battery in a 9v package

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by krovx, Feb 24, 2013.

1. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    2013-02-24_12-34-01_455_zps4de5601d.

2013-02-24_12-35-05_885_zpsdf257fde.

2013-02-24_12-35-48_33_zpsc6b8ecd6.

So I was tired of trying to figure out how to put two or three 9vs into control cavities. I figured there must be a way to get more volts in a smaller package. I explored some options and come up with these. They are a 9 volt holder converted to take AA batteries. I place 12v batteries in converters using copper tape to fill the container since I couldn't find a spring that would work.

How does it work?

I had an Aggie OBP-1 in a jazz with only a 9v at first. It sounded good, but it was the 18v version. Using this 24v was night and day different, wow! Way more headroom and the tone controls seems to 'do' more. Sorry for my lack of technical explanations.

[DEL]I don't know how long it would last compared to a standard 9v, but with pups and preamps being low drain I imagine it might be similar to a 9v.[/DEL]

Someone said:

Typical Capacity: 55 mAh to 6.0 Volts

ItÂ’s the mAh spec that you should compare to a 9V battery, to get an idea.

Looks to be a quarter of the 9V capacity, best case. So you could be replacing batteries 4 times more often. Need to check 9V spec to be sure

My guess is they probably won't fit in a battery box since it is just a bit rounder and longer.

It is 29mm wide x 15mm thick x 60mm long

Compared to a 9v: 26mm x 16.9mm x 48.8mm

9V-sketch.

I am not trying to get rich off these, just was a fun experiment. If you think it could help you out I am willing to part with a unit for 15 bucks shipped and 10 for each additional.

Just let me know!

2. dave2

dave2

Feb 10, 2007
    Texas
    I am curious about this. So you plug your battery holder with the 2 batteries inside in where the square 9 volt battery goes in the preamp cavity. Then you have 24 volts right?
    I was going to mod my Warwick for 18 volts. The MEC preamp can work with the 18v I'm told.
    Sign me up!

Dave

3. BigDBass

BigDBass PWIYB!

Very cool idea.
    Do you know the capacity of those small 12V batteries in terms of current?

4. dave2

dave2

Feb 10, 2007
    Texas
    Krovx
    If you can PM me when U get a chance I will talk to you about getting one of these from you. I cannot send a PM from Tapatalk iPhone app.

Thanks!

5. krovx

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    I have no idea. I have a meter, any idea how I can measure it?

PM sent.

6. BigDBass

BigDBass PWIYB!

No idea. Just relaying question from John East, as I asked him about 24V compatibility with J-Retro. :D

7. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
  8. krovx

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Thanks for the information. Just watched a youtube video on how to measure current with my multimeter. Too bad the fuse is blown in it :(

Perhaps a wiser and more technologically minded person can comment. I wouldn't want anyone ruining their gear.

9. krovx

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Added information. the 12v batteries may need to be replaced up to 4 times as often as a 9v.