1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: 3/4 Hofner from the 1940s.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Herbie 80's, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Hi all,

I'm trying to sell my 1940s Hofner from East Germany to have some extra money.

The bass is ply, but it's a great bass. I bought it about 3-4 years ago, and it has had over $1,500 put into it. The fingerboard was replaned this year, the tailpiece and endpin have replaced, the bridge has been replaced, and it is in pretty great condition right now. It also has the laborie endpin hole in it.

It has never cracked, and at the moment it has no open seams. I may be having a new bridge cut for it next week as well.

I've used this for my first year at University, and in a few semi-professional orchestras, but I've moved on now. I'd like to sell it for $1,600. The jazz bass players that have tried it really enjoy the bass because it is punchy and loud. In a classical sense it is smooth and very easily fits into a section.

For those interested, PM me and I can send you some rough audio clips of the bass being played, or more pictures.

s4Rvl.
    fZz3T.
    P8fmN.
    b7Lik.
    s985F.

EDIT: Price drop.

2. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Wish I had the money for it.

Richie

3. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    This bass has been maintained very well over the years, and goes to see the luthier once every three months or so.

The work done in the last sixth months is:

Fingerboard regluing
    Seams
    Fingerboard planing

4. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    I have found my next bass and am trying to unload this bass ASAP.

This bass had a new bridge carved for it just yesterday, and was just restrung with D'addario Kaplan strings. I'm willing to take offers on it, and [DEL]MAYBE trades[/DEL] + cash.

5. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    I'm willing to take offers on this bass..

It needs to go ASAP.

6. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Some small interest in the bass..

Willing to travel as far as Toronto in order to sell the bass (if you pay the travel costs, of course!). And, willing to make it cheaper for someone if this is the case. Also, it includes the bobelock case for it, too.

7. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    New price drop of $1,600. Need to sell this ASAP.

8. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Closing thread. Sold locally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.