1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS: 50-year-old Carved German Bass

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by eh_train, Apr 11, 2005.

1. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    I am selling my 51-year-old fully carved German double bass, made by Hofner or Wilfer (take your pick - it has the traditional fancy purfling below the button, and a “made in Germany” label). This bass is in excellent condition for its age, has never needed any major repairs, and plays wonderfully in all ranges. I bought it from the original owner 5 years ago, had it professionally set up, and have maintained it well since that time. It has a new bridge with adjusters, new D’addario Hybrid strings, and a nice thick (original) ebony fingerboard. It is in excellent playing condition. It is a light finish; the top is a nice “butterscotch” colour. 42” string length. I briefly had it on consignment with Toronto’s major violin retailer but decided not to deal with them any longer. They listed it for $6,000 Canadian plus tax (another $900). Selling privately, I am willing to let it go for a much lower price: $4,900 Canadian, or $4,000 US. Please Email for further pics, further info., or to arrange an audition.

Thanks,

Paul O’Connell
    “Eh_train”
    Toronto, Canada

Attached Files:

2. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    I forgot to mention, the bass comes with a bag and a German bow...

Cheers,
    Paul

3. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi TB'ers

I really want to sell this bass (or at least have people try it and see what a great bass it is for the money!). So, my new asking price is $4,500 Canadian, or $3,650 US. I've attached a couple more pics, for your information....

Thanks,
    Paul (eh_train)

Attached Files:

4. This'll be a good scoop for someone.
    I had this bass in my possession for about a week while mine was in the shop (there's a story behind that...) It's in excellent condition and well set up. It has an even, focused sound with loads of sustain in the low register.

5. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi Tb'ers

I've had a couple of inquiries re. my bass, but nothing too serious. I'm not using it much now, however, and am serious about wanting to sell it. Therefore, my new price is $3350 US, or $4200 Canadian. The deal includes: a 50 year old, 3/4 size German carved bass in VERY good condition, with a bag and German bow. Please email if you want further pics. or info...

Cheers,

Paul

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I just sent your post out to all of the bass players in my book (that aren't on TB).

7. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Thanks Ray, it's much appreciated!

Paul

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Killer deal! if I had not have just bought a car it woudl be a sweet upgrade. Bumpola for paul...

9. This is a long shot....would you be interested in a Zeta Strados Fusion EUB? It goes for about 3900 (3895 to be exact.) It's all hand made n stuff...I really like it. I do like your bass, and I need a backup bass, so let me think about it if you are not interested in the trade.
    Pete

10. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi Pete

Please check for a private message.

Thanks,
    Paul

11. StevieW

StevieW

May 15, 2005
    Westfield, MA
    I'm interested! Do you have some more details about it?

Steve

12. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Stevie

I'm attaching a couple of further pics. Please send me a private message if you have more specific questions.

Thanks,

Paul (Eh_train)

Attached Files:

13. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi TBers

I've had MANY email inquiries from TBers, but only 1 person has actually come to see it (and he was shopping for his student who is sorta, kinda, thinkin' of buying a better bass). I think this bass is a great deal, but it seems hard for people to get to Toronto to see it...

SO, I'm going to add one last incentive; I will throw in a lightly used pair of gut strings (D and G Pirastro's). You get the bass (strung with D'addario Hybrids), bag, German bow, AND the two gut strings for $3350 US, or $4200 Canadian.

BTW, Toronto is lovely at this time of year!

Cheers,
    Paul (eh_train)

14. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    you have a PM~!

15. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi Modny

I'm sorry, but I sold the bass a while ago. I would have removed the ad., but wasn't sure how to do so...

Cheers,
    Paul