1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

FS: 50-year-old Carved German Bass

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by eh_train, Apr 11, 2005.

1. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    I am selling my 51-year-old fully carved German double bass, made by Hofner or Wilfer (take your pick - it has the traditional fancy purfling below the button, and a “made in Germany” label). This bass is in excellent condition for its age, has never needed any major repairs, and plays wonderfully in all ranges. I bought it from the original owner 5 years ago, had it professionally set up, and have maintained it well since that time. It has a new bridge with adjusters, new D’addario Hybrid strings, and a nice thick (original) ebony fingerboard. It is in excellent playing condition. It is a light finish; the top is a nice “butterscotch” colour. 42” string length. I briefly had it on consignment with Toronto’s major violin retailer but decided not to deal with them any longer. They listed it for $6,000 Canadian plus tax (another $900). Selling privately, I am willing to let it go for a much lower price: $4,900 Canadian, or $4,000 US. Please Email for further pics, further info., or to arrange an audition.

Thanks,

Paul O’Connell
    “Eh_train”
    Toronto, Canada

Attached Files:

2. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    I forgot to mention, the bass comes with a bag and a German bow...

Cheers,
    Paul

3. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi TB'ers

I really want to sell this bass (or at least have people try it and see what a great bass it is for the money!). So, my new asking price is $4,500 Canadian, or $3,650 US. I've attached a couple more pics, for your information....

Thanks,
    Paul (eh_train)

Attached Files:

4. This'll be a good scoop for someone.
    I had this bass in my possession for about a week while mine was in the shop (there's a story behind that...) It's in excellent condition and well set up. It has an even, focused sound with loads of sustain in the low register.

5. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi Tb'ers

I've had a couple of inquiries re. my bass, but nothing too serious. I'm not using it much now, however, and am serious about wanting to sell it. Therefore, my new price is $3350 US, or $4200 Canadian. The deal includes: a 50 year old, 3/4 size German carved bass in VERY good condition, with a bag and German bow. Please email if you want further pics. or info...

Cheers,

Paul

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I just sent your post out to all of the bass players in my book (that aren't on TB).

7. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Thanks Ray, it's much appreciated!

Paul

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Killer deal! if I had not have just bought a car it woudl be a sweet upgrade. Bumpola for paul...

9. This is a long shot....would you be interested in a Zeta Strados Fusion EUB? It goes for about 3900 (3895 to be exact.) It's all hand made n stuff...I really like it. I do like your bass, and I need a backup bass, so let me think about it if you are not interested in the trade.
    Pete

10. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi Pete

Please check for a private message.

Thanks,
    Paul

11. StevieW

StevieW

May 15, 2005
    Westfield, MA
    I'm interested! Do you have some more details about it?

Steve

12. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Stevie

I'm attaching a couple of further pics. Please send me a private message if you have more specific questions.

Thanks,

Paul (Eh_train)

Attached Files:

13. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi TBers

I've had MANY email inquiries from TBers, but only 1 person has actually come to see it (and he was shopping for his student who is sorta, kinda, thinkin' of buying a better bass). I think this bass is a great deal, but it seems hard for people to get to Toronto to see it...

SO, I'm going to add one last incentive; I will throw in a lightly used pair of gut strings (D and G Pirastro's). You get the bass (strung with D'addario Hybrids), bag, German bow, AND the two gut strings for $3350 US, or $4200 Canadian.

BTW, Toronto is lovely at this time of year!

Cheers,
    Paul (eh_train)

14. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    you have a PM~!

15. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi Modny

I'm sorry, but I sold the bass a while ago. I would have removed the ad., but wasn't sure how to do so...

Cheers,
    Paul