1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: '51 Reissue - Earlier MIJ w/ BEEFY Upgrades

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Jefenator, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    The serial number dates this to 1996 or 1997. Before they went to the more orange finish, smaller string-thru ferrules & a narrower electronics cavity.

[​IMG]

The pickguard is a subtle "mint" color - looks white unless you really look close.

Here's a shot of the back. A bit of ash grain makes it through the super thick finish. Note the large ferrules. (Ignore the roughed up neck in this picture - that's my '72 Tele neck.)

[​IMG]

The back of the headstock has one of those cool metallic "50th anniversary" badges.

[​IMG]

The narrow frets are in very good shape w/ a tiny bit of wear evident. I had my tech file them when he lowered the nut.

[​IMG]

The pickup is a Rio Grande "Muy Grande" with large 1/4" magnet poles. That helps the amplified sound a lot! I raised the center poles to match the fingerboard radius - that made a big difference toward getting an even string response. (The original MIJ pickup will also be included.)

[​IMG]

The wiring has been upgraded with CTS pots and an electrosocket/switchcraft jack:

[​IMG]

Overall the bass is in excellent condition. Not mint - I've had it on a few dozen gigs. Mostly slight scratches here & there - nothing drastic. (It's going to take a lot of gigging to wear through that finish!!)

IMHO this is one of the hippest examples of a single-coil Precision bass you're going to find under $1K. I'm asking [DEL]$650, shipped CONUS[/DEL]. PayPal preferred - USPS money order is OK, too.

I will include a cheap gig bag but for an extra [DEL]$75[/DEL] I will upgrade to an excellent condition US-made tweed case:

EDIT: Today (April 20) only: $500 shipped CONUS, $50 for hardshell case upgrade. - I will close this thread tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking! :)

2. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Trade pending.

3. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    if it falls through let me know.

4. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
  5. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    All right - I'll do $600, shipped CONUS.

Also might be interested in trading for or towards the right hollowbody or an Ampeg V4. Or a Modulus unlined fretless 6. Or... surprise me. ;)

6. Do you happen to have a pic without the pick-guard?

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You're killing me !

Beautiful bass. I GREATLY prefer these to the RI's of the past few years. I'd buy this in a second if I had the extra funds available.

Anyway, free bump for one of the best guys to deal with on Talkbass.

8. would u trade for a fender p bass lyte in coral red in great condition and a musicman sub in ok condition?

9. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I do now!

[​IMG]

This bass does NOT have that mysterious extra cavity between the pickup & control routs, like you see on all the RI bodies (& even Allparts bodies) currently up on eBay.

Alas, it turns out there is an issue on the lower horn - looks like the original black pickguard had bonded. (Doesn't just wipe off! I got some bigger chunks off with a razor but am afraid to proceed on the thin stuff.) This is mostly invisible with the new guard on, though you can see a bit of scuffing on the outer radius edge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keep talkin' - I like where you're going with this. ;)

No - you are! :)

Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to decline on those.

I'm trying to get money to make up for an extremely slow month at the glass studio. If I do a trade, it will have to be something I've been GASsing over hard enough to go into debt for. :meh:

10. That thar is just some mojo to release the FUNK. Thx for the pics, giving it some serious thought!

11. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I'm glad you feel that way! :D

I was seriously thinking about doing a refinish on this body. What's on there right now is crazy thick. That could be a good thing if you want to avoid the "relic" look for as long as possible.

My understanding is that MIJ poly finishes from this era are a real bear to strip off. I decided it would be best to let someone enjoy it as-is. (Or find someone who's ready to spend like a WEEK with a belt sander. :atoz:)

12. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If the Heavy Relic P Bass I have in the Classifieds sells in time, I might need to pick this up from you.

13. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    That's why I just BUMPED it. :D

14. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    :D

15. cobbster

cobbster

Sep 11, 2000
    PM sent.

16. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    PM replied.

Sorry, should have mentioned this earlier. The bass is heavy. Feels heavy. My bathroom scale says 12 pounds.

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Here's a "I have one of these early MIJ '51 RI P-basses and love it" bump.

18. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Sorry man, that takes me out of the running. I broke my neck a few years back, so heavy basses....well, I just can't do 'em. This one makes me wish I could though.

19. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    The pic without the pg... is that the 70s tele neck? Looks a bit older.

20. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    It is - my bad.

Just to be absolutely clear, that nasty old Tele neck will NOT be included with this bass - the excellent-condition MIJ neck is what you get. (Perhaps I'll reunite the appropriate parts and take more photos for the next bump.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.