Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS: '75 Fender Jazz (trade for Sadowsky?)

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by peabody, Sep 10, 2004.

1. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I have an all original 1975 Fender Jazz, natural with a tort pickguard, block inlays on a maple neck. It originally had a white pickguard on, and I'll include them both. The finish is original and typical for a 30 year old bass, it has some dings and plenty of finish checking. There is a scrape at the bottom of the bass that is through the finish. I'm not sure what the previous owner did to it, but it's there. This does not affect the playability of the bass, it is cosmetic only. Neck is straight and has a low action. Plays and sounds great...vintage Jazz sound. The neck is very good condition, although the block inlay on the first fret has a crack....the rest of the inlays are fine. It is a medium weight, 9lbs 10 ozs. The neck and pots are original and dated 1974. It has a 4 bolt neck and has to be one of the last 4 bolts assembled before Fender went to the 3 bolt neck. The ashtrays are included. The case is original and in awesome shape....black tolex with the Fender logo intact. When I got the bass there were a couple of "dings" in the back of the neck. I used the "superglue" method and repaired them myself. There is a little discoloration (not from the repair, but from the original dings), the neck is as smooth as new. I'm willing to let it go for $1800 shipped (lower 48 states). As far as a trade.... pardon my pickiness, but here's what I would consider...Sadowsky, 4 string, vintage style in natural, olympic white or CAR, I may consider other colors, but those are my preferences. I may also consider a Lakland USA Joe Osborn in the same colors. I realize there are a lot of great basses in the world, but the ones I mentioned are the only ones I may consider. Sorry this post is so long, but when it comes to a description, I believe more is better. You can pm me or e-mail me at peabody59@hotmail.com for inquiries. Thanks!!
    ****final markdown before it goes off the market...$1800 + shipping****

2. Nice lookin' bass. All I have to offer is my Lakland Deluxe 4-94 and maybe some cash.

3. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I appreciate the offer, but I have this dream of me playing a Sadowsky (or the "right" USA Osborn). Of course, I also have a dream of going to a John Mellencamp concert, the bass player gets sick and they ask me to fill in...weird, huh? Anyway, one of the advantages of already owning a great bass, is that if you can't find what you're looking for...you still own a great bass. Thanks again, I do appreciate the offer...

4. Hey know problem. I hope you get your dreams. I also have a USA Joe Osborn and a Sadowsky PJ/4 and I need to offset some of my recent purchases etc. so I don't really need another bass right now. Plus I kinda fell out of love with Bartolini systems lately. I'm sure someone will scoop it up sooner or later, I'm really not in a rush.

I like Johnny's bass man too. Cool tones and lines. A guy I worked with who is retired now has been with John M. many times. His daughter Crystal Telieapharo was discovered by him down in Bloomington while attending colledge and was in his band for several years before moving on to Bruce Springstein, Billy Joel and a several other big names. She's doing her own thing now. Very talented Lady.

5. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    That is truly a beautiful bass. I wouldn't post your address and work schedule here... :eyebrow:

Glenn D.

6. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I wouldn't hesitate to post my address or work schedule...if you can't trust a bass player, who can you trust? Now if this was a drummer forum on the other hand....watch out. I hate to play all my cards on the first couple hours of the post, but here's a couple more pictures.

7. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Umm, I've played drums for longer than I've been a bass player. :p

8. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Drummer? Did I say drummer? Oh, I meant to say plumber, yeah, that's it. No offense really...my drummer and I are like brothers. We've started playing together when we were 14 (and we're both 44 now). Of course now we weigh a lot less than we used to and we both have much more hair...and if you believe that, I have a bass to sell you. Oh wait, I do have a bass to sell. :D

9. E-mail sent.

10. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    This incredible bass is still available....

11. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    This beauty is still available guys and gals...

12. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Oh god id kill for one.I have a Warwick Dolphin Pro II.interested?

13. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Sorry Guys, I've been out of touch most of the day watching my beloved Packers lose.
    I-LOVE-RATM...Sorry, the Warwick not exactly what I'm looking for.
    SMASH...You asked what I expect to like better in a Sadowsky or a Lakland...hell if I know. There is just something about them that intrigues me....and I've heard a lot of good things about them. I read your post about your Hotwire and although that's not exactly what I'm looking for, I'll think about it. It was a beautiful bass.
    Thanks....

14. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    A weekend bump....

15. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Since it works for WalMart, I thought I'd try it once...
    New (and final) price is $1900 + shipping.

Did I mention this bass has never been owned by anyone famous? I have pictures to prove it.

Killer bass at a killer price.

16. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Suddenly I feel very sleepy.....
    midnight blue, midnight blue.....
    I can't believe someone hasn't bought your Hotwire yet. It really is a beautiful and unique bass. I know this sounds totally silly, but one of my major hangups is not having dot markers on the frets. It's still in the back of my mind, but I'm not quite there yet.

17. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    bump - 1. a relatively abrupt convexity of protuberance on a surface; as a: a swelling of tissue b: a cranial protuberance 2. a: a sudden forceful blow, impact or jolt b: demotion 3: an act of thrusting the hips forward in an erotic manner

Does everyone realize we are using a dirty word to get our posts to the top? Shame on us....

Jazz alert....

18. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    My name is Peabody and I approve of the last message.....

19. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Hey, who's the old guy playing the vintage Fender Jazz? Oh wait...that's me.

20. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I've decide to try one last price reduction and if that doesn't work, I've decided to keep it. If it doesn't sell, that's okay because it's a great bass. Thanks for looking!!
    $1800 + shipping