1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: '76 P/J Fender

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Juniorkimbrough, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I really hate to do this but it's just one of those things that you know you need to let go of even though you really want to keep it.

Fender ’76 Precision Bass, maple fretboard

refinished (stock finish was oly. White), J pickup, non original tuners, non original bridge, I am unsure about the P pickup but I will take it out and take photos. It weighs about 10.5 lbs.....it's heavy but it's got the tone that goes along with a heavy bass! The frets are pretty worn down but I really like it that way. It's currently strung with Chromes and the neck has been shaved down to more of a J like shape which is the main reason I hate to sell this. The neck is killer!

Also this was used and owned by Melissa Etheridge's bassist back in the 80's...

$900 shipped in the CONUS only!

IMG_1510.

IMG_1511.

IMG_1512.

IMG_1513.

IMG_1514.

IMG_1515.

IMG_1516.

2. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    so is the refin oly white also?

im gassin for a 76 olywhite p with maple board.it was the year i was born.

edit: just got my answer in your profile.i would like to see some pics though.

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    yea, it's almost like it's been stained with something? looks dark kinda like walnut....there is no clear coat on it.

i can also send the tuners that came on it when I bought it........they are the type with the nut on the front of the headstock and on the back there is a small hole drilled where the pegs go in on the old tuners. I had a set of tuners I took off my old MIJ P that I had put on there since they look more period correct.

the setup is Vol / Vol / tone with a 3 way switch for the pickups, the output jack is on the bottom side of the bass.

i'll have some pics up by this evening

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    HAWT!!!! :eek:

5. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    That's a beauty. Love the grain.

6. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    If seriously interested PM me and we may be able to work out a deal. I really need to move this ASAP!

7. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    I can't buy this but I just got drool all over my keyboard. Jesus that's a beautiful guitar..

8. bump for a good guy and a killer bass. If I didnt have a Jnr on the way, I would be driving down the highway for that one.

9. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Oh man, if the neck hadn't been shaved down you'd have cash right now. Too bad, that would go great with my 78 fretless. Bump for someone who likes jazz necks on P bodies more than me.

10. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    The width is the same but the actual thickness of the back of the neck isn't.

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Great player's bass at a fair price.

I would grab this but last week I bought a 30th Anni SR and a bass from ibanezcollector!!! AAAGGGHHHHH!!!

12. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    PM to you

13. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I rocked this for about 2 years, it's an awesome bass and the j pup is just what it needs to give it serious versatility. I actually got great slap tones out of it with nice rounds on it, and could dial it back for smooth p tones. Recorded great, and also the neck was perfect for someone not into P thickness, but having a little width at the nut.

If I could deal with a 4 string electric, I would never had sold it. One of the best gigging machines you can own.

14. Best lookin' P I ever seen.

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

PM Sent

16. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

Are you sure the stock was white? Is it white in the neck cavity? If I remember correctly ash was just used for natural finishes in '76. This is a steal, somebody buy it.

17. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Dave, according to the original owner it was white. Apparently from conversing with him he was the one who had it refinished like it is now.

18. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have a 77 ash P if that helps clear things up with years ash was used....

19. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

Depends...is it natural? Did it have a finish, then was stripped down to the ash?

I'm just trying to help JuniorK- out here, if it is the original finish its worth more, even with a stain added. Easiest thing for him to do would be to check the neck pocket/cavity. This bass appears to be a single piece of wood. If its not, then it could be a stripped down finish to a stained alder(it'd be 2 or 3 pieces).

20. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    hey guys, here are a few quoted emails from the original owner that we shared back when i bought it from lamarjones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.