1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: '98 Thumb NT 4, wenge/bubinga

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by willyrep, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willyrep

willyrep

Mar 4, 2008
    New Orleans
    ok-So I've been gigging this bass from time to time and have realized that it's just not me. It's a 1998 model, the last of Warwicks "prime days" and has a wenge board, wenge/bubinga neck and what i believe is a subdued bubinga pomelle body. I'd put the weight around 9.5lbs-though it is neck heavy like all Thumbs. Right now it's completely gutted with just Bartolini single coils-vol/vol/. No tone. I will include in the sale the original MEC guts and pickups. It originally has an 18volt 3 band preamp.
    This bass has it's fair share of bumps and bruises. Most notably some dings on the headstock, by the tailpiece, and a small chip out of the fretboard. The body has some dings and dents too. The laminations are strong but there is a "feel-able" difference between the neck lams and body wings. Most likely just wood shrink. The frets could probably use some work but are still plenty meaty. There is also a small drill hole by the controls that was used for another strap pin location to combat neck dive. The trussrod cover is missing but will hopefully show up. The upper horn inlayed strap pin is chrome and from my '90s Corvette bass. Structurally its a 10 with a strong, fully functional neck and trussrod; cosmetically it's a 7.5/10. Again, this is a PLAYERS BASS and for good reason.
    The tone------incredible clarity throughout the neck, very dry, punchy and even "old school". I was surprised at how responsive and dynamic a passive instrument could be. Very tight and focused and also growly when u dig in. it's currently strung with a newish set of 45-105 Blue Steels. This is a testament to the woods and construction methods Warwick was using at this period- a very inspiring instrument.
    So all that said, it's just not me. I'm best on my old P-bass or my Lakland 5. This bass definitely touched my soft spot for classic German Warwicks though.
    And i know, yes, this is useless without pics but my post-jazzfest gigs have been kicking my ass daily and i have to acquire a new memory card for my camera, so PLEASE be patient. Detailed pics will soon follow.
    So the buyer will recieve the bass with the Passive Barts installed, black Dunlop straplocks with a Levy's strap, the complete 18volt MEC 3 band preamp with MEC pickups, a can of Warwick wax, their truss rod tool, and the original Rockcase brand Flightcase that is in fair condition and VERY good for shipping as well as flying.
    $1050 Shipped, Cont USA only, Paypal only, just outright sale right now

2. brotherbassj

brotherbassj

Sep 20, 2008
    Virginia
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    any pictures? I'm kinda interested...........

3. sweet price!

4. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    More like ridiculous. I don't know how it wasn't snatched up within the first few hours of being listed.
    Too bad you aren't interested in trades.

5. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    its a ridiculous price!! price of a bolt on

6. willyrep

willyrep

Mar 4, 2008
    New Orleans
    Thanks gents. The price is reflective on the cosmetic condition. I'm not a purist when it comes to the "looks" of my gear. This bass has been played alot, and it's totally killer in the tone and looks department. Because it needs some electronics work to get back in full swing I also lowered the price. Everything IS included in the sale. I will have pics up shortly. Cheers!

7. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    I wish I had the funds to take this off your hands.
    Let's give it another bump just for fun.
    With pics this won't last long.

8. osuok88

osuok88 Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX - USA
    Pmed sent

9. willyrep

willyrep

Mar 4, 2008
    New Orleans
    And this puppy is pretty much SOLD!

10. willyrep