1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: Aguilar DB 359 amplifier with 2-ohm modification

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Doc Halo, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc Halo

Doc Halo Musician, heal thyself. Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2004
    Nashville, Tennessee
    For Sale: an Aguilar DB 359 amplifier. This one has the 2-ohm modification, done by the techs at Aguilar.

History: I purchased this amp from a fellow TBer in April of 2010. To my knowledge I am the second owner. I am selling it because I have too many amps and don't use this one enough to justify keeping it.

Description: The DB 359 is an all-tube amplifier with a power rating of 200 watts. Most DB 359s accept impedances of 4 or 8 ohms; this version has the 2-ohm modification done by the boys at Aguilar themselves. The power stage uses four Winged C 6550 power tubes; the preamp is two 12AX7s and one 12AU7. Speaker outs are 1/4". It is a 2-space amp and it weighs about 50 lbs. The manual, which includes other specs, may be found here.

Aguilar ended production of the DB 359 several years ago; since then it has become highly sought-after by tube amp aficionados.

Condition: The amp is in very good condition. The faceplate is clean, and the chassis has a few surface scratches from being racked and un-racked. The tubes have plenty of life left in them and the amp sounds as it should: fat, warm, and tubey, but clean.

Price: My asking price is $1150 shipped. Payment by Paypal. I will pack the amp very carefully and ship via FedEx or UPS upon receipt of funds. CONUS only; no trade offers please.

I invite interested parties to contact me by PM with any questions they may have. In the meantime, some pics:

Attached Files:

2. Doc Halo

Oct 10, 2004
    Nashville, Tennessee
    More pics:

Attached Files:

3. Doc Halo

Oct 10, 2004
    Nashville, Tennessee
    And even more pics:

Attached Files:

4. Doc Halo

Oct 10, 2004
    Nashville, Tennessee
    And even more more pics:

Attached Files:

5. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir... Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Awesome!

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    What's the depth of this unit plz and thanks?

7. Doc Halo

Oct 10, 2004
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Eighteen inches from the tip of the fuse holder to the edge of the faceplate. Add about another 1.5 inches for the rack handles.

The DB 359 fits perfectly in an SKB 19" deep Roto Rack. As it turns out, I have one of those I'd be willing to sell, too. :D

8. Price?

9. Doc Halo

Oct 10, 2004
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Because the DB 359 vents at the top as well as the back of the unit, the Roto Rack I have it in is a 4U. New, the rack goes for about $190; if the buyer of the amp wants it, I'll throw in it and a two-space vent panel for an additonal $100.

10. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Wishing I still had mine bump.

11. Doc Halo

Oct 10, 2004
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Thanks. If I didn't have a second DB 359, there's no way I'd consider selling this one. They are wonderful amps! Bump!

12. Tempting...if it's around in a few more weeks I could have some serious interest. Waiting for my bonus pay:D

13. triplelutz

triplelutz

Nov 8, 2006
    Aguilar, Elixir, Dunlop
    Pm'd

14. takhammer

takhammer

Jan 17, 2011
    Columbia, SC
    Do you mean the unit is clean as in condition, or that it doesn't distort very much? Is the tone pretty similar to the 750? thanks

15. Doc Halo

Oct 10, 2004
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I was referring to the faceplate, which is unmarked, but "clean" could also describe the amp's tone as well, relatively speaking. It most definitely has a tube amp tone--warm, fat, etc.--but it doesn't break up as quickly or as easily as, say, an Ampeg SVT.

There are definite differences between the 359 and the 750, which I also own. Generally speaking the 359 is a sweeter, more subtle-sounding amp, and it's not going to give you the sheer volume for which the 750 is known; a more thoroughgoing comparsion of the two may be found here.

16. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    This is a GREAT price for a fantastic all-tube head!!!
    I sold mine many years ago, but still don't think i've played an amp that sounds quite as "sweet" as the 359. Sure, there are louder amps(though this one gets surprisingly loud), lighter amps, etc. but, none that i've played that sound as good.
    For the price of this one, you won't find a better deal. If I had the available funds.... well...

17. kimmyt

kimmyt Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Gilroy, CA
    Does the 2 ohm factory down change mean it doesn't have the 8 ohm option anymore?

18. Doc Halo

Oct 10, 2004
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Yes. It has a 2-ohm out and a 4-ohm out. I suppose it's possible to have a tech "un-mod" it, but I don't know for sure.

19. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Aguilar tech emailed me instructions on changing the outputs. I did it without any problems. Its very easy to do yourself and reversible. There are 3 different color output wires. Since the amp has two output jacks you can just leave out the one you don't think you will need (2,4 or 8 ohm). The one you leave out needs to be taped up. I would get proper instructions from Aguilar or I could forward you their email. These are great amps and very well built!

20. kimmyt

kimmyt Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Gilroy, CA
    Thanks for info. Matti!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.