1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: Aguilar DB 659

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by gregbackstrom, Mar 19, 2009.

1. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    Hard-to-find Aguilar DB 659 for sale! I need the bucks, so I'll take $475 for it!

This preamp is in perfect working order, and excellent cosmetic shape. There are minor scrapes around the mounting holes and a couple of small scratches areas on the bottom from rack mounting. Other than that, everything looks great.

The DB 659 is the “Aguilar sound” in one rack space. Using two 12AX7’s, the DB 659 packs the punch of a heavyweight in the frame of a flyweight. Descended from the acclaimed DB 680, the DB 659 shares much of the sonic signature in a user-friendly, diminutive package. The DB 659 is equally comfortable on stage or in the studio, providing lush bass sounds with minimal tweaking. Active/Passive inputs: One active and one passive input, for matching with the output gain of your bass. Controls the input gain to the preamp. Deep Switch: The deep switch adds 3db of broad band boost at 30 Hz. This is the instant fatness switch that makes bass sound warm and full. Equalization: Treble: Tube driven shelving type, boosts/cuts up to 12 db. The center frequency is set at 4k Hz. Bass:Tube driven shelving type, boosts/cuts up to 12 db. The center frequency is set at 40 Hz. Midrange:Tube driven shelving centered at 400 Hz. This pot is very smooth and useful for scooping the mids for funk, or adding mids that are clear and musical. Bright Switch: This switch is a passive RC pre-emphasis circuit @ 5-7 kHz. The bright switch will add a brighter timbre to the entire range of your bass. Effects Loop: The Send pot is push/pull for line or instrument level. This allows you to use a studio efx unit (line level) or a stomp box (requires instrument level) in the efx loop. The parallel/series pot is push/pull for parallel or series option. Master Output Control: This pot controls the output level to your power amp. Noise: > -80 db (unweighted) Fuses: One external 1/4 amp slo-blo for 100-120 volt operation, or one 1/8 amp slo-blo for 220-240 VAC operation. Preamp tubes: Two 12AX7s. Power supply: Regulated high voltage plate supply, regulated filament supply for lowest noise. Outputs: Two unbalanced 1/4” outputs, one XLR balanced output with Jensen transformer. Inputs: One active input -39K ohm, one passive input -1meg ohm. EFX Send: Variable send level. EFX Return: One return with -20 db to 0 db compatibility. Weight: 6 lbs. Chassis: Aluminum construction provides sturdiness without excessive weight.

2. jazzmcs

jazzmcs

Feb 26, 2009
    I am considering this preamp from you. I have a Demeter HBP-1 into a Berg AE410 and it sure is clean but sometimes I feel it lacks some character and heft or thickness. Just something a bit more tubey for a good warm thick fingerstyle funk tone. I was tempted to try the dem's polar opposite, an Ampeg preamp, but man I just think it will be too dirty for me considering I'm so used to the dem. Therefore the db659 may be the happy medium I'm looking for. It looks like, from some of your previous posts, that your a demeter fan too. Could you compare the two tones? I have not had a chance to try either aguilar preamp.

Thanks,
    Mike

3. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    Hi Mike,

I'm mostly a fingerstyle funk player too. I haven't owned an HBP-1, but my VTBP-201 / 201s preamps were definitely drier and more "two-dimensional" than the Aguilar. The Aggie can come pretty close to the Demeter sound by keeping the channel gain at 9 - 11 o'clock and keeping the tone controls flat (maybe with the bright switch on). But as you increase the channel gain and/or tone controls, the Aggie's sound develops more heft and drive. Unlike most amps and preamps I've used, the 659 sounds great with the tone controls pushed.

This preamp isn't "lush-sounding," and it's never slow. And unlike the SVP-Pro, the 659 doesn't sound mushy or undefined in the low end when driven. The 659 also won't "come apart" in the high end the way the Ampeg's do (can you tell I'm not an SVP-Pro enthusiast?).

Hope this helps!

- Greg

4. a pic or pictures of her please

5. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    You still got it???

6. jazzmcs

jazzmcs

Feb 26, 2009
    I bought this from Greg a couple weeks ago. Sounds great. Thanks Greg!

7. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    I hate you:eyebrow: