1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: Alembic Epic Fretless 4 w/HG Thor Epoxy finish!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by climb, Mar 2, 2008.

1. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Cool Alembic Epic 4 string fretless basses. Not too often that you see an Alembic fretless. This one has a mahogany body, and bubinga (I'm pretty sure) top, with an ebony board that was treated by the excellent HG Thor, who did a fantastic epoxy finish on it. If you don't know about HG Thor's epoxy treatments, check out his website (http://www.woodwiz.com/epoxy/), and please note that he has a 2+ year waitlist b/c his epoxy treatment is in high demand, not to mention the fact that it's $$$ to have it done.

This bass has a serial #98W7910, which I think makes it a 1998 bass. There is one issue with the bass that requires explanation. The original owner of the bass had dropped the bass in some way that put 2 small cracks in the neck, in 1999 or so. This was immediately repaired by a well-known luthier in Kentucky (forgot the name). Obviously, I was concerned about this neck being an issue, and so I had it very thoroughly checked out, both by a highly respected local luthier (John Thurston, Catonsville, MD) and then also by HG Thor before he did the epoxy job. Both luthiers assured me that whoever repaired the cracks did an expert job, and that the necks were going to be absolutely stable. I have owned the bass for several years now, and have had zero issues. In fact, now that I've had the epoxy finish applied, the bass has been my most stable.

The bass is otherwise in great condition. Has signs of wear, but just looks, feels, plays, and sounds great.

$1100 + shipping (this is a ridiculous price). Will be professionally packed and ship in gig bag. Will consider all offers.

2. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Epoxy finish. Shows a few string swirls in the epoxy that can be buffed out if desired. The epoxy will last forever and, according to HG Thor, will never really need to be refinished.

3. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    2 Cracks in neck w/repairs; one is slightly smaller than the other. These have been rock solid stable for years, and were fixed almost 10 years ago.

4. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    more pics

5. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Don't be afraid of this bass! The neck is fantastic; if you're local, you can come check it out yourself.

An Alembic Epic fretless w/epoxy finish for $1200... the epoxy alone cost me half of that!

6. I've recently discovered that I'm not much for playing fretless, but any of you guys out there who like it, you can't go wrong with the Epic sound... Take it from me. The midrange growl of these pickups with a fretless... Gotta sound bad***.

Gorgeous bass with a gorgeous price, somebody snatch this up.

:EDIT: Posted this thread in the Alembic.com forums, maybe someone there will bite.

7. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Price drop bump.

8. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    PM Sent.

9. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Sale pending!

10. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Sold!

11. Dude...how did I miss this one!!! ARg.... This was the exact kind of deal I had been looking for...plus it is in my area.:crying:

Have fun with it man!!!:bassist: