FS: Alleva-Coppolo KBP4 Precision Bass *Game of Death*

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by phishaholik, Feb 19, 2010.

1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    This is killing me to do this, but I’m going to have to let my favourite bass I’ve ever owned go to help finish paying off my Double Bass. If you’ve always wanted the perfect early 60’s Precision Bass without all of the vintage bass issues, then look no further. I’ve owned a ton of P’s and played even more and this is without a doubt the BEST precision I’ve ever come in contact with. It just pulls off that Motown vibe like no other. The neck is one piece of maple with an Indian Rosewood board. The body is an incredibly resonant piece of alder, which is no surprise since Jimmy uses wood that has been aged for 50 or 60 years. It’s all passive with a hand wound Alleva-Coppolo split P pickup. It was made for the first Bass Player Live show. The serial number is 32 and it was built in Jimmy’s New York shop. There are absolutely no issues with this bass and I absolutely love it. The frets are in great shape and it has worn TI flats, which are perfectly broken in at this point, the entire time I’ve owned. The setup is great with low action and absolutely zero fret buzz. I would put the cosmetic condition at around 8.5 out of 10. There is some ultra fine hazing that is unavoidable if the bass is played and a ding on each side of body from it pushing up against the zipper on the gigbag during shipping. Nothing goes through the finish or takes away from this beautiful bass.

I think that I should also point out the fantastic paint job on this bass with the badass racing stripe. It has been known as the Bride (Kill Bill), the Game of Death bass, and it has also always reminded me of 70s Yamahas. With the nitro paint job on the neck and body and the C-neck, this bass just oozes classic Fender. Every time I hold it, I feel like I was warped back forty years. I’m not positive, and hopefully some of the Alleva horde can clarify, but I believe that this bass was painted by the same guy that shot the nitro for Fender back in the 50s and 60s. It doesn’t get more authentic than that!

I don’t want to sell this bass at all, but my new DB is over $6000 and I’m selling everything I own to afford it. I also have a ply DB I’m putting up for sale in on the dark side.

Price: $2499 plus shipping. I accept paypal and money order. The bass will ship in a sturdy hard shell case.

Michael

allevacoppolo.jpg

a234.jpg

2. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    What's the nut width and weight?
    Thanks.

3. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Hi,

It has a C-neck, 1 and 3/4" at the nut. It's really light weight, I would say 8 to 8.5 lbs. I'll weigh it and put the actual weight up today.

Thanks

Michael

4. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Thanks, I wasn't sure if you meant back contour or width with the C in the first post. I'm looking for an A neck, dangit. Great color, good luck with the sale.

5. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I would buy this bass right now.
    But, I just can't get past the paint job.
    It's just not me.
    Great bass though.

6. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    All PM's returned.

Thanks

Michael

7. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    totally freakin pimp!

8. MikeXbass

MikeXbass

Oct 15, 2009
    Pasadena, Tx
    PM'ed!

9. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    PM sent

10. 123321

123321 Am Comfortably Dumb...

Feb 1, 2004
    Virginia
    I see your bass and myself am fixed for basses at the moment but would say- for the record- that if somebody's even considering a vintage Fender bass (for the tone, for God's sake) that they should seriously consider your bass as a viable option. The old Fenders vary so much in the overall it is frankly incredible. Some are needless to say incredible while some are absolutely not worth a dime. And- many are in the middle. You play upright, and are investing in a multiple thousand dollar bass, you got good ears!!

11. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks man, I couldn't agree more. :D I also have a 68/77 Precision and it has all kinds of issues, some minor and some not so minor. This really is like buying a bass straight out of the 60's. I really wish I didn't have to let it go and I plan on buying another in the future.

Michael

12. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    random question, was the paint scheme done with game of death in mind?

13. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Honestly, I have no idea, but it would be whole lot cooler if he did.:p

Michael

14. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    game of death and kill bill references, AND dazed and confused references!

I approve of this message.

15. havuk

havuk

Jan 5, 2005
    DFW TEXAS
    +1 especially the dazed and confused quote

16. Can't believe this is still here!

17. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    PM sent!

18. lx_night

lx_night

Sep 3, 2008
    Oklahoma city
    beautiful!!!!!!

19. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Bump for a cool bass, I played it when on the west coast and it speaks! And phishaholik is a straight shooter to boot.

20. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Pm sent.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021