1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS:Alleva-Coppolo RA5 Candy Apple Red

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by MDFreeze, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDFreeze

MDFreeze

Jan 27, 2009
    DFW, Texas
    Alleva Coppolo RA5 for sale. Great condition and the best playing and sounding Jazz style 5 I have owned. Currently, I'm just not playing 5's and looking to pass it on. Only a couple of tiny spots on the front of the bass that can't be photoed. They are not scratches, just tiny impressions. I never see them. Currently I have the bass tenored but will include a DR 5 string set with the bass if interested. Comes with light AC gig bag.

$3400 Shipped and Insured, professionally packed.

More Pics here: AC RA5 pictures by mdfreeze - Photobucket

2012-01-23071425.
    CIMG8567.

2. notejung

notejung Supporting Member

How much is it weight?

3. MDFreeze

MDFreeze

Jan 27, 2009
    DFW, Texas
    Estimate is about 9.5-10 lbs max. The AC's are so comfortable to play, I've never had a weight issue with it.

4. diglo

diglo Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2007
    SMYRNA, TN
    Get up! Get Get Get Down!
    I use to own this bass, before Kjung. Great bass.

5. These are great basses! I love mine:
    DSC_0102.
    Best of luck with the sale! I am sure this will go fast!

6. notejung

Please review sound of RA Series.

How is different from LG and AG ?

thank u

7. MDFreeze

MDFreeze

Jan 27, 2009
    DFW, Texas
    Notejung, for that, please review the forums. There is plenty of talk about that in the Alleva-Coppolo page in the Basses section.

8. bassarama

bassarama Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Toronto
    PM sent

9. MDFreeze

MDFreeze

Jan 27, 2009
    DFW, Texas
    PM's replied.

10. bassarama

bassarama Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Toronto
    Wonder if this body is the requisite RA 5 alder body ?

This bass was listed as an LM 5 on the Low End site and looks similar to Ken Jung`s LM 5 Harvest Gold though I do recall Ken saying that he had had an RA 5 and preferred the tone of his LM 5 ........:meh:

11. MDFreeze

MDFreeze

Jan 27, 2009
    DFW, Texas
    Kjung is a tone wizard in an amazing way, feel free to ask him about the bass. Ken has an ear for frequency and describing tone that is far more refined than anyone I've ever run into. He did prefer the tone of the LM5 for what he was needing, thankfully he sold the RA5 to me. I love it, it cuts through mix perfectly for a five and has a real sweet slap tone and burpy back pickup, not to harsh, which is why this is the first time I've considered selling it in 2 years, its just sitting over there, looking at me, making me write sentences that are way too long. This is the only 5 string I've kept for more than 6 months and been happy with.

Hit me up with any questions, and yes this is definitely an RA with an alder body, confirmed with Jimmy and Kirk and Ken long ago. Brian had it incorrect on the website way back when it was at the LowEnd shop.

12. YCBass

YCBass

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Bump for a sweet bass... This model/series doesn't get the credit it deserves (including from myself in the past) but let me tell you that these models consistently get more attention at NAMM shows than others, specially the show that just passed... There was only one RA there and it was the most played bass from what I saw. It's really a sweet middle ground that can do A LOT.

13. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Do some RA's come with dot inlays? I thought the RA series was bound and blocked?

14. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    WORD.

15. MDFreeze

MDFreeze

Jan 27, 2009
    DFW, Texas
    Pm's Replied.

16. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'd be on this bass in a "DFW minute" if my work life wasn't so screwed up.

It's a beauty.

17. MikeXbass

MikeXbass

Oct 15, 2009
    Pasadena, Tx
    PM'ed

18. notejung

still available?

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

According to Jimmy, this was a 'one off' RA without blocks and binding. It has an alder body and gloss poly neck finish of the early 70's style J builds, but this particular one doesn't have blocks and binding.

It was virtually new when I bought it from Brian (I think it even still had the safety film on the cavity cover.

Moderate weight (maybe 10 pounds), and a unique voice... round, warm low end, and a top end that extends way higher into the upper treble region than my more 'grindy' LM.

Beautiful finish, great playability. I preferred the more 'classic' 70's vibe of my LM, so ended up selling this one. It is a unique sounding instrument... crisp up top and warm down and round down low, versus the more 'extended low end and upper mid grind' of the later 70's inspired LM basses.

Great seller... bump for a great bass!

20. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Another bump for a great bass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.