Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS: AMP BH-420 Gr8 Shape and Overhauled by Thunderfunk!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Quadzilla, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

**SOLD!**

NO TRADES PERIOD!
    I never thought I would do this but my beloved AMP BH-420 is up for grabs :bawl: . I'm asking a few more bucks than others have gone for in the past but as you can see in the pics, mine is truly in great shape. Being the paranoid and anal person that I am I got the head fully serviced some months back even though it has always been fully functional. The head has been gone over entirely by Dave Funk of Thunderfunk including a thorough cleaning inside and out, replacement/upgrading of pre-amp capacitors and other items (mine were fine but the originals are known to go bad), installation of heatsinks on the transisitors (Dave states this helps cooling up to 20%), new knobs, etc, etc, etc (and all of Dave's time and parts was not free, cost me some serious $$$). According to Dave it was also one of the last AMP BH-420's produced (1989) and actually has the prototype Gibson circuit boards in it that AMP switched to just before they sold off to Gibson (and then Gibson used this design in the GB-440).

As just about everyone knows here on TB, these are the "holy grail" of SS tone and are very loud for the 400 watts that it's rated for and louder and any 400 watt SS head that I've ever seen or heard (other TBers who have heard or own a BH-420 can vouch for this). Everything works and it looks great too. $450 + shipping FIRM (not negotiatible either as I am struggling with doing this)! I prefer money order/cashiers check but if you have to use Paypal, you pick up the Paypal fees (I think it's around 3% but I'll check). Again, it's a little on the high side but this one is one of the cleanest BH-420's out there, everything works and Thunderfunk sprinkled their magic dust on it. Feel free to PM Dave Funk about this head to confirm everything that I said. NO TRADES as I am in debt from other gear that I've bought and need to pay the debt off! Rack bag not included but rack ears are included! Check my stellar feedback in the feedback forum!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    oh man, the difference a few months makes.

This is a great find right here imo. I have been scouting out AMP's and bought a couple, and neither is in NEARLY the shape this one is in.

IMO this is a great Talkbass find, and, despite the fact that i am supremely disappointed in quad for selling it, i am glad it's staying in the TB community.

if i hadnt blown my petty cash on amps this fall, i'd be on this lickity split.

3. Quadzilla

Your killing me man! I don't want to sell it but I have bills and have two other really nice heads. My Peavey Classic 400 (400 watt all-tube) and my new Nemesis NA650. The Nemesis does a fairly close imitation of the AMP (not quite there tone wise) and offers a better DI, effects loop, goes to 2 ohms, etc. Still there is a lot to be said of the tone of the AMP which I have yet to find anything better in the solid state world. If I can't get my asking price, I'm going to sell the Nemesis instead... Maybe I should do that anyway. I just don't know... :bawl: :bawl: :confused:

4. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

lol

5. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Quad you know this is nuts !! A quality US toneful beast !! You know how hard these are to come by. The Nemesis will be around for sometime for sure. As much as I have always wanted a 420, I need a 2 ohm stable amp. :( boohoo.

6. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    This is a great deal Quad-:crying: where were you a month ago when I bought a new practice amp-my wife would kill me now:bag: ....OOOOH!:hyper:

7. Quadzilla

I really thought this one would go fast. Got some nibbles and some trying to talk me down, but nothing serious yet. Still up for grabs at the moment. Again, I'm having trouble with selling this (meaning I REALLY don't want to sell it). I may take it down if I come to my damn senses and my checkbook looks better....

8. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia
    Well true to his word...he held the amp 1 day for me. And, I just pulled the trigger and bought it. I'm pretty stoked!
    This will be my first AMP amp and I feel pretty sure it's gonna be a good time. It will be powering a single Bag End S-15XD and, if the need be, a Mesa Boogie 1 x 12 for the drummer.

Many Thanks,
    Erik

9. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Quad, today a little peice of you has died.

maynard, you are going to love it. Mine is in need of some TLC from MR Funk, and it STILL sounds awesome and is very powerful. IMO best SS amp i have tried to date. (though my eden does have quite a bit of charm as well)

congrats, and if you decide to sell it, the fine print on Quads contract says you have to keep it in teh TB community.

10. Quadzilla

The real fine print and agreement between Erik and I is that if he ever decides to seel it, I got first dibbs on getting it back. I may see my baby again someday! :)

11. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

Niiiiiice!