1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FS Ampeg BSE115T cabinet, as new $235 PS

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Lee Barker, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Lee Barker

Lee Barker Labor of evident value satisfies the soul. Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    I wanted to test Tom Bowlus' contention that 15s are not now what they were. I was a skeptic, to be sure. So I bought an Ampeg BSE115T. This little beauty convinced me that, once again, Tom is right. This is as tight, warm and responsive as any 12 I have known and it moves significantly more air. Oodles of dispersion.

In my quest for smaller and lighter, this stalwart must, alas, head down the road to a new home.

I have played it out once, when I needed more oomph for a broadway type show and we were on stage ("Always, Patsy Cline").

pasted:

BSE115T 15-Inch Bass Cabinet with Tweeter Specifications
    • Dimensions: 22.75 x 22.75 x 17.5 in.
    •
    • Weight: 70 lbs.
    •
    • Magnet Weight: 56 oz.
    •
    • Size: 1 x 15 in.
    •
    • Voice Coil: 2.5 in.
    •
    • Crossover Frequency: N/A
    •
    • Frequency Response (-3dB): 55-3.8KHz
    •
    • Maximum SPL: 119dB
    •
    • Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
    •
    • Program Handling: 400 Watts
    •
    • RMS Handling: 200 Watts
    •
    • Sensitivity: 97dB
    •
    • Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 40 Hz

end of paste.

This unit plays as new. It has caster sockets on the bottom. It has that groovy Ampeg name plate.

Note that the two inputs allow you to select with tweeter or not.

The downside? Looking straight at the grille, about 4 o'clock there's an area the size of a pork chop that is slightly discolored. It is only visible at certain angles, certain light. I checked it closely, and the grille is apparently powdercoated so I can't imagine what this might be. It won't wipe off. It appears it might be inherent in the finish. I can send more images that show it.

You can no longer find these new, but the "upgraded" Ampeg replacement is $500. The price shown is without shipping--calculate that from 97756, the 70# of the box plus 12# quality packaging.

And what they say about that Ampeg sound? I get it now. And Tom was right.

2. Dano59

Dano59 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Charleston Illinois
    pm sent

3. Lee Barker

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    Monday dawned blue-skied and fair
    He's groggy and rumpled of hair
    But oatmeal sans lumps
    Portends that some bumps
    Mean Tuesday some PMs appear

4. Lee Barker

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    Bump of Friday